VMware Communities
PabLU
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Moving virtual image from intel based machine to AMD based machine

Hi there,

I have used VMware Workstation Player version 14 on a Windows7 Host machine. This machine hardware is Intel based, i7.

I have created a few virtual machines via Vmware on this Windows7 machine

I am planning to get a Desktop machine, but the hardware is going to be AMD CPU,, motherboard etc.

I still plan on using windows Operation System.

MY QUESTION is: Will my virtual machines that i created earlier on a machine that has Intel as its hardware base,

WILL I BE ABLE TO MIGRATE THEM, or say just run them on the new machine that is AMD based.

I tried to look up answers online, and most of the articles are from 2006-2010.

All of them say that you cannot.

Then i saw someone say that you can, but did not give details.

Hope someone that has experience with this situation can help out.

Regards,

P.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

MOST of the time, the VM should be portable.  If the guest OS installed some specific code for a particular manufacturer's CPU, then there might be an issue.  But overall you should be able to run them just fine.  DO make sure the VMs are shut down, not suspended, however - as CPU registers, stacks, etc. are in different memory locations.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

MOST of the time, the VM should be portable.  If the guest OS installed some specific code for a particular manufacturer's CPU, then there might be an issue.  But overall you should be able to run them just fine.  DO make sure the VMs are shut down, not suspended, however - as CPU registers, stacks, etc. are in different memory locations.

0 Kudos
PabLU
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi there,

Thanks for this, really appreciate it.

I don't have anything special done to any CPU.

I guess i will have to make sure that they are truly shut down and not suspended then, based on what you say i should be Ok

to run them on the new AMD machine then.

Thanks for your reply, i really appreciate it.

Regards,

Paul

0 Kudos