VMware Horizon Community
Qander
Contributor
Contributor

Automatic cleanup of machines in 7.11.0

Hello there,

I'm looking for a way to determine if a machine hasn't been logged on for X amount of days.

When the user hasn't logged on to it for more then X amount of days the machine may be automatically deleted.

The users shouldn't lose his entitlement to the pool.

This way we will be able to cleanup inactive machines and regain CPU, ram and storage for these machines automatically.

It will be really appreciated if someone could help me out in this one.

Thank you,

Remie

3 Replies
nburton935
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It would take some scripting, but you can likely get it done.

If your VMs are within a specific OU, you can get a list of the machines using Get-ADComputer -Filter * -SearchBase 'OU=ouname,DC=yourdomain,DC=com' -Properties * | sort lastlogondate | select name,lastlogondate

That will at least get you a list of your machines and their last logons. If you're wanting to fully automate it, you can apply a filter based on your date requirements, pipe those names to the Remove-HVMachine commandlet, and have it run as a scheduled task. Here's the get-help for Remove-HVMachine (part of PowerCLI).

NAME

Remove-HVMachine

SYNOPSIS

Remove a Horizon View desktop or desktops.

SYNTAX

Remove-HVMachine [-MachineNames] <Array> [-DeleteFromDisk] [[-HVServer] <Object>] [-WhatIf] [-Confirm]

[<CommonParameters>]

DESCRIPTION

Deletes a VM or an array of VM's from Horizon. Utilizes an Or query filter to match machine names.

PARAMETERS

-MachineNames <Array>

The name or names of the machine(s) to be deleted. Accepts a single VM or an array of VM names.This is a

mandatory parameter.

Required?                    true

Position?                    1

Default value

Accept pipeline input?       false

Accept wildcard characters?  false

-DeleteFromDisk [<SwitchParameter>]

Determines whether the Machine VM should be deleted from vCenter Server. This is only applicable for managed

machines.

This must always be true for machines in linked and instant clone desktops.

This defaults to true for linked and instant clone machines and false for all other types.

Required?                    false

Position?                    named

Default value                False

-HVServer <Object>

The Horizon server where the machine to be deleted resides. Parameter is not mandatory,

but if you do not specify the server, than make sure you are connected to a Horizon server

first with connect-hvserver.

Position?                    2

Default value

-WhatIf [<SwitchParameter>]

Default value

-Confirm [<SwitchParameter>]

Default value

-------------------------- EXAMPLE 1 --------------------------

PS C:\>Remove-HVMachine -HVServer 'horizonserver123' -MachineNames 'LAX-WIN10-002'

Deletes VM 'LAX-WIN10-002' from HV Server 'horizonserver123'

-------------------------- EXAMPLE 2 --------------------------

PS C:\>Remove-HVMachine -HVServer 'horizonserver123' -MachineNames $machines

Deletes VM's contained within an array of machine names from HV Server 'horizonserver123'

-------------------------- EXAMPLE 3 --------------------------

PS C:\>Remove-HVMachine -HVServer 'horizonserver123' -MachineNames 'ManualVM01' -DeleteFromDisk:$false

Deletes VM 'ManualVM01' from Horizon inventory, but not from vSphere. Note this only works for Full Clone VMs.

-Nick

Qander
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Nburton935,

Thanks for pointing me the remove-hvmachine command.

I have made a script which doesn't work for some reason and I cannot understand what I'm doing wrong.

Here is the code:

$HorizonServer = "horizonserver.domain.com"

$dagen = (Get-Date).AddDays(-31)

$vms = Get-ADComputer -Filter 'Description -LIKE "*VMWARE*" -AND lastLogonDate -lt $dagen' -SearchBase 'OU=VDI OU,DC=Domain,DC=com' -Properties * | select name

Connect-HVServer -server $HorizonServer -user domain\someserviceuser -password MyIncrediblyHardPassword

foreach($vm in $vms)

{

Remove-HVMachine -machinenames $vm -deletefromdisk -confirm

}

Disconnect-HVServer -Confirm

When I run the command as domain\someserviceuser manually with a single VDI machine pointed in the remove-hvmachine command it works just fine.

PS C:\Users\administrator.PRIMELINE> foreach($vm in $vms)

{

Remove-HVMachine -machinenames $vm -deletefromdisk -confirm

}

Exception calling "Machine_GetInfos" with "2" argument(s): "There is an error in the XML document."

At C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\VMware.Hv.Helper\VMware.HV.Helper.psm1:10536 char:7

+       $deleteMachine = $machineService.Machine_GetInfos($services,$de ...

+       ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [], MethodInvocationException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : InvalidOperationException

Attempting log off of machines

Attempting to Delete:

Exception calling "Machine_DeleteMachines" with "3" argument(s): "There is an error in the XML document."

At C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\VMware.Hv.Helper\VMware.HV.Helper.psm1:10602 char:7

+       $machineService.Machine_DeleteMachines($services,$deleteMachine ...

Exception calling "Machine_GetInfos" with "2" argument(s): "There is an error in the XML document."

At C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\VMware.Hv.Helper\VMware.HV.Helper.psm1:10536 char:7

+       $deleteMachine = $machineService.Machine_GetInfos($services,$de ...

What am I doing wrong here?

0 Kudos
amdjfk
Contributor
Contributor

What is being passed in to $vms? are those String names of machines? I haven't figured out how to get the array of machine names I want yet without having to get all the relevent machines using get-HVMachine -MachineName $pattern and then looping through the list to get the names into another array. If I do, I will let you know. 

0 Kudos