VMware Communities
rulmer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Intel I219-LM not available for bridged connections - VMWare Workstation v15.5

I received a new company laptop with the integrated I219-LM NIC but when I open the Virtual Network Editor to manage the bridged connections for VMNet0, the onboard NIC (I219-LM) is greyed out and can not be selected or deselected.

There seem to be some KB articles relating to ESXi, but nothing that I can find with Workstation.

The laptop is a Dell Precision 7540 running Win 10 Enterprise Build 18363, 48 GB RAM.

Any advice on how to get this to work with VMWare Workstation would be greatly appreciated. TIA

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rulmer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you to all who replied.

After checking with others in the organization, I found my issue.

It was a simple oversight.... I had already assigned that NIC to a different VMNet so therefore it was grayed out and unavailable.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I also see things greyed out in the Virtual Network Editor screen until I click the following button near the bottom:   "Administrator privileges are required to modify the network configuration. [Change Settings]"?    Do you have Administrator rights to your company laptop?

Capture.PNG

After clicking the [Change Settings] button I see options to change my Bridged configuration:

Capture1.PNG

0 Kudos
rulmer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you for the reply.

Yes, I do have Administrator rights on the box and have clicked the change settings. My NIC must be a little different from yours. Mine says '...Connection (7) I219-LM...' where yours shows '...Connection (12) I219-LM...' so there must be different variants of that NIC. In my searches, I saw the "(7)" in multiple search results but never the "(12)".

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

I updated the driver with the 'latest and greatest' available on the Dell Support website. I'm wondering if there is anything newer / more up to date from Intel....

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

If the checkbox is greyed out in that panel like your screenshots show, then most likely the 'VMware Bridge Protocol' adapter is not installed or enabled on that NIC.  Go to the properties page for that NIC on your host, and either check the box to enable the bridge protocol if it is in the available list, or add it if it is not.

0 Kudos
rulmer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

RDPetruska​ - Thank you for the reply. I got excited for a moment, but only a moment.... It is already selected.

Capture.PNG

While it says protocol, it is actually a service. I'm not sure if VMWare provides the installation files for that service directly. Time to go looking...

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Are you the only one in your company using Workstation, or are there others? I am wondering if the issue might be specific to your company‘s system build or OS policies...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
rulmer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

scott28tt​ Thank you for the reply. We have a boat load of people using Workstation and a number of them might even have the same Dell Laptop Precision 7540. I didn't think to ask anyone else. So that is my next step.

0 Kudos
rulmer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you to all who replied.

After checking with others in the organization, I found my issue.

It was a simple oversight.... I had already assigned that NIC to a different VMNet so therefore it was grayed out and unavailable.