Trying to fix this myself, I went thru and tried a ton of different things. Below are among the things have tried:
1. Restarted the system from the Cluster screen and from being logged in as root (did not fix)
2. synced the NTP time (did not fix)
3. Turned on and off regex settings (did not fix)
4. Upgraded from 8.0 to 8.1 then to 8.1.1
5. created a new local super user account (did not fix)
a. this lead me to what made this work, I went to login as an AD super user and it was failing for some reason
b. checked on Authentication with AD and the require SSL was unchecked probably thru the upgrade
c. Checked the require SSL, then SAVED, then went thru the whole deleting AD certs as our AD infrastructure is huge and what is chosen does not match
d. Unchecked the require SSL and SAVED and then rechecked it one more time and SAVED, this worked.
6. After changing the SSL for AD auth and deleting the AD Certs, I am now able to remove the different Content packs.