VMware Communities
wobY
Contributor
Contributor

Keyboard keys not working... Help!

So I was messing around with VM software today and I found VMware mentioned in a thread. I was like, I'll give it a try. We only used Oracle's VB in school and I wanted to try other things. So... I installed the Workstation Pro.

I saw the Enhanced keyboard option and decided to install that as well and oh boi was it a bad decision.

So here I am right now, trying to fix my keyboard for the past hour. The issue I'm having is my "C" and "Y" keys don't work. AT ALL.

I've went to the Control panel and as the option for VMware was Change I click that. I'm greeted with 3 options, Repair, Change and ofc Uninstall. So I think to myself... Let's click change and just... Remove the keyboard thingy. NOPE, doesn't work. Restarted the PC and, well still. No go. Well, what other thing to do than uninstall the software, right? Well... NO! Still a no go brodda. Soooo.....

As every other smart person I... Started searching on the interwebs if people had this issue. And I found out that... Well, indeed they did have. So I scroll down the forum posts here and I see people talking about the registy key. I check the key and well... The only thing I have there is the key they say not to remove. The "kbdclass" or whatever it is. So, I continue looking and I find a post where it's mentioned to put something into a config file. Now issue is... Which config file. My man had already uninstalled the software. Okay so... I reinstalled it. Didn't tick the keyboard thingy and just put the thing in the config file, restarted the PC and... N O P E!!! Still showing me a middle finger and laughing.

So... After another, 4 posts where people suggested the same fix like the previous ones I did I have decided to come here and write this essay in hope someone, ANY ONE, will have some other ideas one how to fix this. I'm trying to write/respond to customers/email and well... Every time I need C or Y in the word I have to use the on-screen keyboard W10 offers.

I'm really frustrated this happened, and I really hope someone has an idea on how I'd fix this. Thanks Smiley Sad

Host PC:

W10

Was VMware W Pro 15.5.6

If it helps... Keyboard is AORUS K7

0 Kudos
2 Replies
wobY
Contributor
Contributor

Might be useful:

Windows 10 version is 2004 Build 19041.329

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Try using the VMware Cleaner in knowledgebase article 1308 to fully remove any VMware software - hopefully that will remove the enhanced keyboard driver as well.

If that works, you can then reinstall Workstation 15.5.6 without the optional keyboard driver.

0 Kudos