VMware Cloud Community
einarssonm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Renew free license for VMware ESXi 6.5 after power failure

I have a lab server with VMware ESXi 6.5.0, that has been running for 3+ years. After a power failure it starts up, but any attempt to start an existing VM results in the following error message:

Failed to power on virtual machine VM_NAME. License key has expired. Click here for more details.

The only license key that I have been able to access in the My VMware portal is for "VMware vSphere Hypervisor 7". I have tried to apply that license key to my 6.5.0 server, but it's not accepted.

Any hints?

/ Markus

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Try this: VMware Knowledge Base

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You need a vSphere ESXi Hypervisor 6 license key. It the "free" one but i´am not sure if VMware generate "new" keys for old software today.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
einarssonm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, I guess that's what I need. I don't understand why the license key is needed now, since the initial license activation should be perpetual.

/ Markus

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Try this: VMware Knowledge Base

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
einarssonm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks! I visited "VMware vSphere Hypervisor 6.7 Download Center". With my normal VMware account I got the error message "You either are not entitled or do not have permissions to download this product.". When using an older VMware account I could access the download links and a license key for 6.x. Strange, but it works!

0 Kudos
ashiqullah1990
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hello my VMware license key has expired cane you send me the new one please.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

@ashiqullah1990 License keys usually don't expire.

If you have an issue, please do not reply to an old thread, but open a new discussion, and provide details.

André

0 Kudos
Steveorevo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This link does not apply to VMware ESXi 6.5, nor does it apply to the topic "after power failure"

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

It used to when the 6.x versions were supported. Now they’re not supported, hence the article has been updated for 7.0 and 8.0.

0 Kudos