VMware Cloud Community
chrisAUS
Contributor
Contributor

vAPP deployment to Single Host

Hi Guys,

I am trying to build a cloneable environment for my users. The solution I am trying right now is a vAPP the users only have permission to clone. The problem I have is that, its a requirement in my setup that the vAPP needs to be all on one host. When I clone the vAPP I am asked which host to clone to, however when I power on the vAPP the VM's are spread across my cluster. I have vSphere HA turned off, and I have DRS set to manual.

The ideal outcome is that when I clone the vAPP, the host that I select is where the VM's stay until the users finish with them.

Thanks in advance.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

With DRS in manual mode you would be asked which host to ”initially place” each of the VMs as they power on.

You could try using a DRS VM-VM Affinity Rule, as explained in this section: Using DRS Affinity Rules

Or deploy instead to a host outside of your cluster.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
NicolasAlauzet

As Scott said, if DRS is manual you can specify the host.

Also, you can create a Afinity Rule after you clone the VMs to make the new VMs run in a specific host. With this, when you turn on the VMs (even if DRS is fully automated) vms are going to be Powered ON on the desired host.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Triple VCIX (CMA-NV-DCV) | vExpert | MCSE | CCNA
0 Kudos