VMware Cloud Community
tbuitendyk
Contributor
Contributor

Inherited ESXi Implementation without Credentials

We've got a serious problem: A server that we have inherited to support is running on an ESXi base system for which we seem to not have credentials.  The only credentials we were given were for the 'root' user.

ssh was never enabled on the platform apparently as ssh attempts fail.

The ESXi base must be 6.5 or higher as vSphere client attempts fail with the expected error when tried from multiple machines.

https:// to the underlying ESXi raises the expected vmWare credentials prompt for User name and Password but the 'root' user and supplied password fail there.

Are there any back doors that we could try?  Any suggestions related to breaking into the ESXi base?

thx, t.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

if you don't have vcenter you need to reload, if you have vcenter and a license that can do host profiles with access to host profiles you can try the below

https://marcjenkins.blog/2018/11/08/changing-esxi-passwords-via-host-profiles/

0 Kudos
tbuitendyk
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply, I really appreciate that.

I don't believe the client has current VMware licensing, but am I correct in assuming that if they were to re-license the existing set-up we could install vCenter and try the root pw reset?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

There is a difference between having a license and having an active support contract - licenses are perpetual, so the host will almost certainly be licensed or nobody would have been able to power on a VM in the past.

From your question it seems they may not have an active support contract - this entitles then to technical support and to upgrades.

If the host is not already part of a vCenter Server setup you would not be able to add it to one - you need the root password in order to add it.

So if it is a standalone host you will need to re-install ESXi to set a new root password. Make sure you do NOT overwrite any VMFS datastores when you do the re-install or your will wipe the files of VMs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Do you have access to the ESXi host via keyboard and monitor ?

If yes try your password there.

Often faild login attempts can be the result of unexpected keyboard layouts.

It is possible to set a new password for a standalone host but it is more work than a fresh install.

In case you need the licence that it is used now and are worried that a new install would overwrite it or any

other data - let us know.

0 Kudos