Glad to be part of this community. I am new to VMWare and kindly bear with me for the following questions which may be entirely wrong or stupid.
We, from our company have gotten a license for VMWare VCenter Standard with VSAN for virtualization of our Data Center. This is a brand new setup and just as a background, this is a startup primarily into trading related activities with close to 15 physical servers running production critical works(Mixture of Windows and Linux) and close to 40 other physical servers are used by our developers, quants (Mostly Linux and few Windows). There is no domain controller/ active directory setup currently. We want to setup and configure this the right way. Regarding the hardware that we have purchased, it is a 3 node cluster with Intel X6254*2 CPUs, 768GB RAM, 1*1.92TB of SSD, 12*2.4TB HDD, 4* 40G NIC, 4 * 10G NIC, 4 * 1G NIC in each of the nodes
Now the questions
1. Since the company has no AD, DC setup, do you think that setting that will be a cleaner way for managing things
2. The license that we purchased is for 6.x and as the upgrade is possible, do you recommend the fresh installation of VSphere 6.7 or VSphere 7 directly?
3. Can the AD/ DC can reside on one of the ESXi hosts or is it advisable to have it outside the ESXi hosts as we can enable the ESXi authentication can be enabled for AD Users
4. We were planning to use the 1G NIC available on board just for the management of the ESXi hosts, 10G network for the VSAN, VMotion and other HA traffic. Can you let us know if that is a good start. Was reading through some documentation and may be I misread that the management interface is the one responsible for the VMotion and other HA, FT traffic.
5. Is it advisable to run the production on one of the three hosts, development/ quant related tasks on the other hosts and still be good in terms of managing the resources and provide HA
6. Is it advisable to use the same cluster and get Horizon license and have VDI on one of the ESXi hosts without affecting the others