VMware Cloud Community
vm__geek
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Storage vMotion

Hello All,

So I am migrating VMs from one datacenter to the other using Storage vMotion and will be migrating both compute and storage. I have the network VLANs stretched between both datacenters and all IPs will remain the same. We have multiple FC and IP 10 Gb links between the datacenters.

Do the source host need to see both datastores? And the data traffic will be only FC between sites or we will have IP  traffic for control?

Thank You!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Thx to shared nothing vMotion none of the hosts needs to see both storages.    Think about a migration from one Host to another and each have only local storage. You have to choose the 3rd (the bottom one) option within the migration wizard.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
vm__geek
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thank you, but in this case both vCenters need to be in ELM mode right?

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Yes.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Strictly speaking, they do not. As long as the requirements are met, you can use PowerCLI or go to the API directly to conduct the migrations. Go take a look at some examples with the Move-VM cmdlet.

0 Kudos
vm__geek
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Wow This is helpful. I was reading and it says you can only set a host as a storage destination, can I use this tool to migrate to my SAN in the other location? Would this work with migration of about 750 Tb of data between 2 sites that are 250 KM apart?

0 Kudos