VMware Communities
arzoo1
Contributor
Contributor

Remote Desktop (RDP) stops working on host when using vmware workstation 15

I'm having a strange issue with Remote Desktop and VMWare. On my host PC (running Win10), I often connect to multiple other systems using remote desktop. I also connect to a vm using Workstation 15 Player. The OS on the vm client is Win7 Pro. This all works fine as long as I don't disconnect the remote desktop sessions. If I do disconnect and need to reconnect, remote desktop fails to connect. The only way to get remote desktop working again on the host is to shutdown the vm and reboot the host (which is a huge pain). I thought maybe the issue had something to do with the RDP services on the vm client, but disabling those did not make a difference. When the problem occurs I've tried restarting the RDP services on the host, but that doesn't help, only a reboot works. It's not clear whether this is an issue with remote desktop or vmware, but the problem doesn't occur until the vmware session is active. Any thoughts or suggestions on how to resolve this would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MattieVan
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problems with RDP.

I want to use RDP the connect to the VM’s en the host with the VM workstation.

I have a clean W10 installation with workstation 15.5.6 and new W10 VM's.

If I connect both, WS with VM workstation, and the VM, with RDP after a certain time the WS from the workstation does not response anymore en the VM RDP is disconnected.

After reconnecting to the WS with the VM workstation the local VM has a windows blue screen! 

If the VM is W7 it continues after restarting the RDP of the main host.

If I disconnect the RDP from the main host the local VM's with RDP are running OK. But this is very frustration.

If I use DameWare to connect to the main host instead of RDP it works also okay (VM are connected with RDP!

0 Kudos
MerylC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Try this with 3D acceleration Disabled and please report back here.

---------------------------------------------------------------

VMware Workstation Virtual Machines Expert
0 Kudos
MattieVan
Contributor
Contributor

Disable 3D acceleration does not solve the problem.

0 Kudos
Ch_77
Contributor
Contributor

I have a problem in my environment regarding VM hosted in VMWARE environment, suddenly remote desktop and ping is not available, when i reset the host network by disable and enable it, ping responds as well as remote desktop services are available, kindly tell either there is a network problem or what else.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos