VMware Communities
gerardvanschipk
Contributor
Contributor

Could not open /dev/vmmon: Broken pipe error on 11.5.5 but not on 11.5.3?

As per title, I'm getting the broken pipe error when I run 11.5.5. I have the installer for 11.5.3 and when I run that installer I get it working again but Fusion updates itself. I have disabled auto updates but it still updates AND restarts itself after 15 min of usage so basically I can have 15 minutes of Fusion usage, re-install 11.5.3 for my next 15 minutes.

I googled the error and saw several articles from people talking about permissions (not the case, I gave access), disabled and enabled firewall, enabled full disk access etc.

Lost here.

5 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Try a clean install:

- drag fusion to the trash

- empty trash

- reboot machine

- empty trash

- install 11.5.5 directly (not 11.5.3)

0 Kudos
gerardvanschipk
Contributor
Contributor

Tried just that on 4 machines now, always same result. Even went as far as wiping 1 machine so clean Catalina, then Fusion 11.5.5 and same result. It does work if I'm an admin but these are for corporate machines and users cant be admins.

So far only 11.5.3 seems to be ok running without the user being an admin.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Ah, that's the issue.  Fusion has always needed to be installed and run as an administrator user (as does most software).  The fact that 11.5.3 works is the anomaly.

Standard users in MacOS are really only there for use in kiosks and similar use cases.  If machines need to be locked down, then best practice is to use something like JAMF and policies to restrict usage.

0 Kudos
GameProfBond
Contributor
Contributor

MIT found and posted a solution to this issue. It worked for me. Aug. 27, 2020. VMWare Fusion Version 11.5.6 (16696540). macOS Catalina 10.15.6 (19G73)

In short, it did not require a clean install or any of that. I simply needed to restart in Recovery mode (hold Command-R while restarting), go into terminal, and enable the VMWare system software to work.

Here's the link:

http://kb.mit.edu/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=160763976

rshack777
Contributor
Contributor

I have exact same message Mac Catalina and Fusion 12.0.0.0.  A post I found in this thread solved it.  Did you read msg (below)?

MIT found and posted a solution to this issue. It worked for me. Aug. 27, 2020. VMWare Fusion Version 11.5.6 (16696540). macOS Catalina 10.15.6 (19G73)

In short, it did not require a clean install or any of that. I simply needed to restart in Recovery mode (hold Command-R while restarting), go into terminal, and enable the VMWare system software to work.

Here's the link:

http://kb.mit.edu/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=160763976

0 Kudos