VMware Communities
Innocent98
Contributor
Contributor

Android Virtual machine with mobile data

Hi,

I recently created virtual machine with android system, I conected my phone and in settings selected "usb tethering" but I still don't know how to use my mobile internet in android virtual machine, in virtual machine with windows this automatically conecting. I need help.

3 Replies
peetz
Leadership
Leadership

Hello Szczepan and welcome to the forums!

An Android system (like your phone) can provide Internet access via USB tethering for other systems, but I'm not sure this also works the other way round and if Android can use USB tethering as a client.

Anyway ... what is your host system (that runs VMware Workstation), Windows or Linux? How about connecting the host system to the Internet through your phone by USB tethering? You could then add a regular network interface (of NAT type) to your Android VM so that it can use the host's Internet connection.

- Andreas

Twitter: @VFrontDe, @ESXiPatches | https://esxi-patches.v-front.de | https://vibsdepot.v-front.de
Innocent98
Contributor
Contributor

My host system is Windows 10. Well, I want to use internet data in virtual machine and in my host internet from an internet provider.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If I understand you correctly, you want your VM to use your phone in tethered mode to access data services, while your host OS uses your regular internet connection.

Does Workstation see your phone as a network adapter when you run the Virtual Network Editor? VMware Knowledge Base

If so, I think you could achieve what you want by using custom networks, learn more about Workstation networking here: Configuring Network Connections

If Workstation does not see your phone as a network adapter, I cannot see how Workstation can help you do what you want.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos