VMware Cloud Community
PietKoenekoop
Contributor
Contributor

Maximum number of VM's with RDP connection in ESXi 6.7

Hello, I'm new here and hope someone can answer my question. I have a Dell Server with 2 Xeon 12c/24T CPU's, 192 GB Ram and enough harddisk space. I have 20 VM's with win10 installed that are all accessed via RDP from the network and over VPN Connections. This works very well. Now I have added another 9 VM's and run into RDP problems. When all VM's are active I can connect to any one of the VM's, but am disconnected after a few seconds. This happens even if I am the only user that's connected. When I switch off a few VM's (5 or so) I can work normally.

My Question is: is there a maximum number of VM's in ESXi V6.7 that can be reached by RDP?? and, if there is a maximum, can that maximum be increased?

I hope someone has an idea,

Piet Koenekoop

0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I've never heard of such a limit - ESXi is just passing packets through it's network stack, it doesn't care what they are.

You may have something physically on your network (up to and including the NIC in your host) that is causing the problem, or some other resource constraint.

Have you investigated the compute and network utilisation on your host?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
PietKoenekoop
Contributor
Contributor

I will investigate and get back.

0 Kudos
diegodco31
Leadership
Leadership

Please, check the windows firewall and Group Policy Editor.

You will find these settings:

Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Remote Desktop Services > Remote Desktop Session Host > Session Time Limit

Diego Oliveira
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/dcodiego
0 Kudos
PietKoenekoop
Contributor
Contributor

I am not connecting to an RDP Host (Windows Server) but to individual VM's with win10-pro. I am trying out the maximum number of machines that can be booted up before the RDP session is disconnected

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

You can have 1 RDP connetion to non server windows os like windows 10, and 2 to windows server os like server 2019. You can only have more then 2 sessions if terminal services is installed, and that's not available on windows 10 so your limit is 1

0 Kudos