5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2020 7:51 AM by YordiDeRijcke

Custom Resource not deploying Error 500

DionRow Novice
    vExpert

I was trying to make a simple custom resource in vra8.1 that does nothing except run a workflow and continue (just learning).

I keep getting this error:

Failed to get request status: 500 Internal Server Error from POST http://tango-vro-gateway.prelude.svc.cluster.local:8080/vro/blueprint/blueprint-provider-request?operation=status (InternalServerError)

I see the vro workflow run and complete but still get the error.  The workflow takes in one string var and returns a string

Am I misunderstanding this?

IdeaS?

• 1. Re: Custom Resource not deploying Error 500
          lnairn Expert
          VMware Employees

Hi,

Can you post the custom resource config in vRA?

Did you see https://www.funkycloudmedina.com/2020/05/vra-8.1-custom-resource-error-http-500-when-creating-ad-user-custom-resource/ ? In that case the issue was related to a variable input.

Regards,

Leandro.

• 2. Re: Custom Resource not deploying Error 500
            DionRow Novice
            vExpert

formatVersion: 1

inputs:

hostname:

type: string

title: sourceFQDN

domain:

title: domain

enum:

- example.com

- example2.com

default: example.com

puppetRole:

title: Puppet Role

NorthSouthRules:

type: array

title: North South Firewall Fules

description: North South Firewall Fules to add for this machine

items:

type: object

properties:

key:

title: sourceFQDN

value:

title: Protocol

value2:

title: Port

resources:

Custom_DionsTest_1:

type: Custom.DionsTest

properties:

thevar: '${input.hostname}.${input.domain}'

the custom resource screen:

and the DionsTestCustomWorkflow in VRO:

I see the data come into the workflow and appear in the logs but after 4-5 minutes or so of the deployment just hanging like its still waiting for the workflow to return it fails with the 500 error:

Failed to get request status: 500 Internal Server Error from POST http://tango-vro-gateway.prelude.svc.cluster.local:8080/vro/blueprint/blueprint-provider-request?operation=status (InternalServerError)

• 3. Re: Custom Resource not deploying Error 500
              DionRow Novice
              vExpert

I found out that you need to pass back a more complex plugin type that is understood by vro and is part of the Inventory tab.  This would include things like VC:VirtualMachine or VC:Folder etc.  Once I set this as the type it was on to the next problem.

Apparently you can use Dynamic Types as well and send and return those as well which I ultimately am wanting but have yet to get this successfully working.

dion

• 4. Re: Custom Resource not deploying Error 500
                YordiDeRijcke Lurker

Hello

I am facing the same issue. If i understand correctly you cannot use a "simple" type like a string, etc. as External Type in the custom resource, it has to be a "complex" type like VC:VirtualMachine, etc?

I've been looking into the Dynamic Types as well but I'm continuing to search for a simpler way for what I'm trying to do. The stupid part is that I don't need a complex type. A string as external object is all I need...

Have you gotten any success with the Dynamic Types?

Regards, Yordi

EDIT: I assume the issue lies within the output of the create workflow of the custom resource, this should be the same as the external type if I understand correctly.

Therefore you cannot use a "simple" type as output of the create workflow if what I'm stating above is correct.

• 5. Re: Custom Resource not deploying Error 500
                  YordiDeRijcke Lurker

In my case, i only needed to keep a string as object. Because it is not possible to use "simple" objects as external type in custom resources, i created a Dynamic Type.

It is necesairry to create the "get <dynamic type name> by ID" workflow, in my case it creates a dynamic type filling the id and name with the string i actually care about. It basically converts a string into a Dynamic Type. This dynamic type can then be used in vRA/vRO.