VMware Communities
Ravenoz
Contributor
Contributor

Create ISO from VMWare Worksation 14 for rebuild later

Hi all

Apologies if this question has been asked however I am seeking information on how to create an ISO from an existing VM that I have built.

I created a LINUX VM 2019.3 then updated/upgraded and installed additional software where it is now Linux 2020.2.

I like how it is set up but wish to plan for failure. Which I mean I dont want to have to go through all the steps that I did to get to the Linux VM that I have now.

I am using:

VMWare Worksation 14 Pro

Version: 14.1.89 build-14921873

Licence: Individual

If i am able to build an ISO from the current Linux 2020.2 VM it would be great.

if anyone knows of a way please let me know.

edit by wila: Discussion moved from VMware Fusion® (for Mac) to Workstation Pro

0 Kudos
3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Shutdown your VM and export to OVF format. Or just take a copy of all the VM files.

ISOs are not for this job.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

I agree with Scott that it is easier to create backups (and I'm not saying that because I just happened to provide a backup program - see my signature).

However if you want to create an iso then there certainly are ways for that.

Unfortunately you don't really tell us what linux distribution you are using.

Search for something called remastersys if it is ubuntu based.

Hope this helps,

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
Ravenoz
Contributor
Contributor

To all thanks to Scott28tt and Wila. Their answers were helpful. I was able to successfully export my updated Kali 2020.2 image to a state where I can easily restore if need be without going through the re-installation of linux software. Thanks.

0 Kudos