VMware Horizon Community
craigtompkins7
Contributor
Contributor

Small DR environment

I've recently started at a new company that pretty much does not have a DR environment.  I'll be purchasing hardware and setting it up.  This is a small company with 200 employees.  I just did a hardware refresh in production using Pure Storage and 6 Dell poweredge servers.  3 of those servers give me N+1 for my server environment and 3 give me N+1 for Horizon 7.12 (100 concurrent desktops).

In DR we will buy another Pure array and more poweredge servers.  VM replication will be either via Pure or vSphere replication and SRM.

I've been asked to think of ways to keep DR costs down and while I have several ideas I keep going back and forth on one that I wanted to get some input on.

I know this is not best practice and I've been running Horizon since 4.6 having never done this, but what about running DR servers and DR Horizon in 1 vcenter?  This would allow me to have 1 less host since I could be N+1 in 1 environment instead of N+1 in 2 environments.   I would not do this in production, but DR?  I'm seriously considering it.  If it matters our production datacenter is QTS so it's very high quality, not just servers running in one of our offices.

I'd love to hear anyone's input.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

Disaster recovery is typically created to ensure business continuity for a specified period of time.

If the costs were to be limited, I would say that it can be an acceptable compromise.

Just make sure there are enough resources.

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
wuhlig
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If your asking if you can use your services and your horizon in a single vCenter, then yes.  Just not best practice because of the extra load horizon puts on the vCenter.  But this is DR, so it really won't have much load.  Just review Cloud Pod Arch/MultiSite Arch on techzone.vmware.com or the link below to review horizons DRish way of do things.  SRM isn't supported for horizon.

VMware Horizon 7 Enterprise Edition Multi-Site Reference Architecture | VMware End-User Computing Bl...

0 Kudos