VMware Cloud Community
AnonymousDefaul
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Give each file a choice of where to install

I'm trying to create an upgrade installer that lets me look for a ' delivery'  folder and in that folder, there are several files that go out in different areas in the installation directory. I created several component groups and components to allow for choice, but because all the files that get sent to the ' delivery'  folder need to go into a different specific area, how can I create this installer, and go through each file and let me choose where each file should go? For example: I have two files, one needs to go to folder A, and the other in folder B. I want to be able to have the installer go through each file, have a popup that says ' where do you want file A to go to?'  then i select, then I hit next, then ' where do you want file B to go to?'  

Also am I able to pack the files when I run the installer instead of creating the build? This delivery folder will get updated all the time so I dont want to have to open bitrock, and hit ' build'  to pack everything when I could somehow make it automatic when I run the installer. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
michiel_dhont
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Anthony,

Please accept my apologies for the delay in the reply. Regarding your request, it's not completely clear to me what you mean with delivery folder. Should that folder be available at run time or during build time? In any case it's possible to use check if a certain file exists using the <fileTest> rule and then copy it using <copyFile>.

If the delivery folder is for build time you can add actions in the <preBuildActionList> and add rules to the <shouldPackRuleList> to conditionally pack the files. You can find more information about this in the following section of our manual:

https://clients.bitrock.com/installbuilder/docs/installbuilder-userguide.html#_excluding_components_...

>  For example: I have two files, one needs to go to folder A, and the other in folder B. I want to be able to have the installer go through each file, have a popup that says  or ' where do you want file A to go to? or '  then i select, then I hit next, then  or ' where do you want file B to go to? or ' 

Unfortunately it's not possible to create an interactive builder. However, you could add that build logic to the <preBuildActionList> and then use `--setvars` to set build variables to create custom builds.

https://clients.bitrock.com/installbuilder/docs/installbuilder-userguide.html#custom_build_targets

Regards,

Michiel

0 Kudos
AnonymousDefaul
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply, so with the first question. I saw that the <shouldPackRuleList> is only at build time, but what if I want to build the installer just once, and then able to run the installer whenever I want. How can I create an installer that lets me  or ' pack or '  at install time instead of build time?

0 Kudos
michiel_dhont
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Anthony,

You could use <copyFile> in the <postShowPageInstallationList> of a parameter and then add logic to it to conditionally copy files from your  or ' build or '  folder to a destination, based on the user input.

Regards,

Michiel

0 Kudos