VMware Cloud Community
AnonymousDefaul
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Offline installers bigger than 2GB

Hello,

Our installer includes a registered version and a trial version all in one. To do so, we ask the user for a license&password. Then we pass this variables to a custom exe shipped with the installer which connects to our server and validates the license&password. Then, the installer continues extracting the registered version or the trial version.

So far so good. But now the installer reached the 2GB. I've seen this post and tested the alternatives suggested but:

- Compressed CDRom (compressPackedFiles set to 1). It creates the compressed dist file but our custom exe fails to run. Is there a way I can avoid compressing just that exe while continue compressing the rest of the files?

- Uncompressed CDRom (compressPackedFiles unset - default is 0). It creates a big dist folder (13 GB !!!). I could compress it with 7zip or similar which is not ideal but could do the trick. And our custom exe runs fine after uncompressing but the registered version is exposed.

- Downloadable components. We already use that for the regular installer and it works fine in general. However, some customers report connection errors while the installer is downloading big components. That's the reason why we have been sending a non-downloadable-components version. At least until now...

Any ideas?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
michiel_dhont
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

It creates the compressed dist file but our custom exe fails to run.

Could you give more details regarding this issue? What do you mean with custom exe? Could you also tell me the size of the dist file in this mode?

Regards,

Michiel

0 Kudos
AnonymousDefaul
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

The  or ' custom exe or '  is the small activation program I tried to describe at the beginning of the post. We have a componentGroup with two parameters (license and password). We call our exe with  or ' runProgram or '  passing the license and password as  or ' programArguments or ' . The exe connects to our server and receives a response. The response is stored in a variable using  or ' setInstallerVariable or '  and used later to delete and rename a set of files or another.

All this has been working without problems until now. The only change is that the files being distributed are bigger and the final installer crossed the 2GB line.

The problem with the  or ' Compressed CDRom or '  mode is that this activation program fails to run. The dist file in this mode is 3.28GB.

0 Kudos
AnonymousDefaul
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Could you run the installer with the debugtrace option and send the debug.txt to support@bitrock.com?

. or  or installer.exe --debugtrace debug.txt

Regards,

Michiel

0 Kudos
AnonymousDefaul
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Just sent.

Note I had to generate it with --syncdebugtrace because with --debugtrace the installer seems to crash without generating the log.

Thanks

0 Kudos