VMware Cloud Community
derekgroupmaili
Contributor
Contributor

How to hook up the uninstall (right-click) shortcut under Linux (Mint) on the Start Menu

Hi,
I'm installing an app on Linux Mint (19.3) with Cinnamon UI specifically and while the app shows up fine on the Start Up Mint Menu under the correct categories and I can run the app successfully via the start menu shortcuts, I cannot see how to wire up the (right-click) uninstall shortcut from the Mint menu.

In Mint, and possibly other Linux distros as well (I'm not that familiar with Linux), it seems that rather than registering your own uninstall link as an additional menu item (like you would in the mac or windows) they prefer the user to simply right-click the installed application to reveal a further level of options, one of which is to uninstall the application.

However, I don't see how to associate running the bitrock uninstall command with what happens when the user right-clicks that contextual ' uninstall'  menu item on the Start Menu.

I'm assuming that somewhere I have to install a different .desktop file for the uninstaller that by convention gets run automatically when the user uninstalls, but I can't see any documentation on how this is configured anywhere or how you would hook up to it via installbuilder.

I've also tried the ` <registerWithPackageDatabase>1</registerWithPackageDatabase>` hoping that it would register my app with whatever package manager is in use (presumably Debian, given that I'm running Mint) and that way would allow the app to be uninstalled, but that didn't work either! And unfortunately that didn't appear to register my app in either of the 'Software Manager' or 'Synaptic Package Manager' apps!

(Which makes me wonder if `<registerWithPackageDatabase />` works with Debian package managers or does it still only work with RPM based ones?)

Anyway, at the moment I'm not caring too much about installation via the package managers as I'm happy with just using the native installBuilder system. If only I could just get it to uninstall...!?

Note that my app is installed in the `/opt/<myApp>` folder and I can uninstall it manually via terminal by the usual `sudo ./uninstall` from that folder, but obviously don't want the users to have to do that! I just need the start menu uninstall shortcut to point to that ./uninstall utility somehow!

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Derek

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
0 Replies