5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2020 8:11 AM by msripada

Error occurred while fetching machine certificates: This method requires authentication.

Jase_L Novice

I upgraded from vCenter Server Appliance 6.7 to 7.0 (specifically 7.0.0a build 16189094) and when I go to Administration > Certificate Management in the vSphere client, I get the following error:

Is anyone else seeing this issue? Does anyone know of a fix?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Error occurred while fetching machine certificates: This method requires authentication.
          msripada Expert
          vExpert

which account have you logged in as? I suspect it should work if attempted with SSO administrator. Please check the webclient logs at the same time of the error. or share the vcsa logs under /var/log/vmware/vshere-ui/log

thanks,

MS

• 2. Re: Error occurred while fetching machine certificates: This method requires authentication.
            Jase_L Novice

I tried the root account and the SSO administrator account, and I get the same error.

Here are some entries I found in vsphere_client_virgo.log:

[2020-06-18T12:45:00.498Z] [ERROR] ate-service-thread-pool-1107  com.vmware.vise.vim.vapi.DefaultVapiConnectionControl             Maximum number of attempts reached while trying to call com.vmware.vcenter.certificate_management.vcenter.tls.get

[2020-06-18T12:45:00.509Z] [ERROR] http-nio-5090-exec-100       70003584 100186 200007 com.vmware.vise.mvc.exception.GlobalExceptionHandler              Exception handled while processing request for /ui/certificate-ui/ctrl/certificates/machine-cert?endPoint=myservername.mydomainname.com:  com.vmware.vapi.std.errors.Unauthenticated: Unauthenticated (com.vmware.vapi.std.errors.unauthenticated) => {

messages = [LocalizableMessage (com.vmware.vapi.std.localizable_message) => {

id = vapi.method.authentication.required,

defaultMessage = This method requires authentication.,

args = [],

params = <null>,

localized = <null>

}],

data = <null>,

errorType = UNAUTHENTICATED,

challenge = <null>

}

[2020-06-18T12:45:00.632Z] [ERROR] ate-service-thread-pool-1108  com.vmware.vise.vim.vapi.DefaultVapiConnectionControl             Maximum number of attempts reached while trying to call com.vmware.vcenter.certificate_management.vcenter.trusted_root_chains.list

[2020-06-18T12:45:00.641Z] [ERROR] http-nio-5090-exec-122        com.vmware.vise.mvc.exception.GlobalExceptionHandler              Exception handled while processing request for /ui/certificate-ui/ctrl/certificates/trusted-root-list?endPoint=myservername.mydomainname.com:  com.vmware.vapi.std.errors.Unauthenticated: Unauthenticated (com.vmware.vapi.std.errors.unauthenticated) => {     messages = [LocalizableMessage (com.vmware.vapi.std.localizable_message) => {     id = vapi.method.authentication.required,     defaultMessage = This method requires authentication.,     args = [],     params = ,     localized = }],     data = ,     errorType = UNAUTHENTICATED,     challenge = }

Thanks

• 3. Re: Error occurred while fetching machine certificates: This method requires authentication.
              msripada Expert
              vExpert

I am suspecting issues with STS certificate but unsure if we have a way to check in html5 without using jxplorer tool.. please open SR with GSS

If possible, try to restart vcenter services and does not solve then please open a ticket with GSS

thanks,

MS

• 4. Re: Error occurred while fetching machine certificates: This method requires authentication.
                Jase_L Novice

I rebooted the server, but still have the issue.

Thanks for the suggestion on the STS certificate. I followed this KB:

VMware Knowledge Base 

When I ran the script, it returned 4 valid certs, and 0 expired certs. So, the STS certificate does not appear to be expired anyway.

Thanks

• 5. Re: Error occurred while fetching machine certificates: This method requires authentication.
                  msripada Expert
                  vExpert

There should be only one STS cert but you have 4 certs. So I still suspect it to be an issue.. I never mentioned issue with STS expire.. I mentioned issue with STS certificate

thanks,

MS