VMware Cloud Community
sadom
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

active-active adaptor

i am curious about a topic. when i use active-active mode vSwitch configured. There are 10 virtual servers. Which active nic does it use if I open these virtual servers respectively? Is there a rule?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

It will roughly distribute them across those vmnics. There is no hard, definitive rule as to which one will be used. Importantly, it will not attempt to "balance" the load based on the utilization.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

This question is a continuation of the thread here and so you really didn't need a second one.

0 Kudos
sadom
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I understand that 9 vm's on nic1 can also work. 1 vm nic2 can also work. or 4+6 etc...there is no rule for that.

If it is active-active, it will distribute the load.  I think it makes active-active load distribution. there is also physical swtich in the environment. where do you think i'm making a mistake. I think it makes active-active load distribution. I may be asking silly questions because I don't know as detailed as you

Thank for helping

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

I understand that 9 vm's on nic1 can also work. 1 vm nic2 can also work. or 4+6 etc...there is no rule for that.

I don't understand what you're saying here. You have two physical NICs (vmnics). You have nine VMs, each with a single NIC (vNICs). Each vNIC gets assigned to use one of the vmnics in a round robin fashion. It doesn't assign vNICs to vmnics based upon how much traffic is observed on the vNIC, nor how much total load is observed on the vmnic. This is why it isn't load balancing; it's more like load sharing. It's a completely dumb activity when vNICs get assigned to vmnics. Both vmnics are active, yes, but only one vmnic handles all traffic for one vNIC.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I strongly recommend you have a read of this section from the documentation: Load Balancing Algorithms Available for Virtual Switches

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: This thread really was a continuation of your other one on the same topic:

standby adapter

There was no need for you to create a new one - in future please keep discussions going on existing threads.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
sadom
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There are 10 virtual servers and 2 nic's and they have active-active mode running on vswitch. when I open virtual machine connected vswitch .  which virtual machine sends traffic from which nic ?  which  virtual machines are using which nics.

sorry, my english is not very good. I think this is the problem

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Are you asking how to ​know​ or ​verify​ which vNICs are using which vmnics? Or are you asking how to predict that utilization? The first question you can answer by using esxtop on the host where the VM is registered. The second question cannot be answered.

0 Kudos
sadom
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

my question is second and I learned the answer. Thanks.

I want to ask something different. What is the advantage of having 3 machines connected to vmnic0 and two vmnic1 connected. Does it notice anything as network speed.is this more advantageous in terms of network speed ?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

3 machines connected to vmnic0 and two vmnic1 connected

This question doesn't make sense. The names "vmnic0" and "vmnic1" refer to physical network interfaces on the ESXi host. This is why they are listed as uplinks for that switch. You'll have to clarify the question in English.

0 Kudos