VMware Cloud Community
Hyund2020
Contributor
Contributor

VSPHERE 6.7. Backup issue VM Host. Failure running CHKDSK /F /R

There are two drives on the host (Server 2012 R2) and from a Veeam backup I cannot restore guest files from the C: drives as it does not show, only the d Drive shows.

Veeam could not find any issues other than a problem with the drive showing in their logs and was recommended to schedule restart running CHKDSK /F /R.

When I scheduled and ran chkdsk /f /r I checked the WININIT log files after it completed and saw steps 1-3 passed however step 4 failed with "The disk does not have enough space to replace bad clusters" and listed various files.

I removed these files and scheduled another checkdsk /f /r restart and this time I get to step 5 and get the attached error.  Note I have also attached the original error

When I further checked the server log files  I noticed that the weekly schedule scanndisk was failing with event ID 257 - We have a Dell SAN

I am assuming that the chkdsk /f /r should run with VMWARE?  Any suggestions as no other server is having these issues

0 Kudos
8 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

chkdsk has no reliance upon the underlying storage. Your issue seems to be one with the Windows filesystem and not something intrinsic to ESXi or vSphere.

0 Kudos
Hyund2020
Contributor
Contributor

Okay thanks for confirmation and will look further into it - note Windows points to Veeam and Veeam point to VSHPERE or Windows. :smileyconfused:

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

So this Windows VM is one you restored from a Veeam backup?

Have you repeated the restore process? Do you have another version of the backup you can restore? Do you have any issues restoring other backups?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Hyund2020
Contributor
Contributor

No it is not a Windows VM restored from backup .

We stumbled across issue when attempting to restore guest files that C:Drive was missing,  Worked with Veeam support to no avail to fix, however when a Full Instant recovery restore (without network) was executed, we were able to view contents of drive c:.  Note Veeam were seeing the error below in logs hence trying chkdsk /f /r

[27.05.2020 11:24:05] < 19020> dsk| WARN|Failed to parse MBR layout // could not read the master boot record of the disk
[27.05.2020 11:24:05] < 19020> dsk| >> |Partition table entry is out of disk bounds

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Where does vSphere come into this issue/setup then?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
Hyund2020
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks I was only answering the question and Veeam had just got back re the response I gave you, so yes as daphnissov indicated it is not a VSPHERE issue.  Thanks

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Thread moved to the Windows guest area.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Next steps ...

1. boot the VM you already recovered into a Linux LiveCD that has Testdisk installed.

- fix the MBR with Testdisk

2. boot the VM into a Windows LiveCD and run an extensive checkdisk with all options

0 Kudos