5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2020 8:07 PM by RaymundoEC

PKS compatible version with vSphere and NSX-T?

feter20 Lurker

just checked the product snapshot of PKS 1.7 on this webpage and it showed that PKS 1.7 supports NSX-T version 2.5.1, 2.5.0 and 2.4.3, however, this kb did not put NSX-T 2.5.0 on it.

so my questions are:

1. does PKS 1.7 support NSX-T 2.5.0?

2. do PKS 1.6 and 1.7 not support the latest NSX-T 3.0 and vSphere 7.0?

thanks in advance~

just wanna clarify doubts.

• 1. Re: PKS compatible version with vSphere and NSX-T?
          daphnissov Guru
          Community WarriorsvExpert

1. does PKS 1.7 support NSX-T 2.5.0?

Yes, it does, and you can verify such things here in the future. However, there were some serious things fixed past 2.5.0 so I'd strongly recommend you not use 2.5.0.

2. do PKS 1.6 and 1.7 not support the latest NSX-T 3.0 and vSphere 7.0?

That's correct.

• 2. Re: PKS compatible version with vSphere and NSX-T?
            RaymundoEC Hot Shot
            VMware EmployeesvExpert

yes on both just don't get lost on this,  try to follow the documents from tanzu Kubernetes integrated which is the new brand for PKS

Download Tanzu Kubernetes Grid Integrated Edition — VMware Tanzu Network

• 3. Re: PKS compatible version with vSphere and NSX-T?
              feter20 Lurker

hi, raymundo,

thanks for saving my newbie ass.

so the "TKGI" is the successor of "enterprise PKS"?

should I just use TKGI instead of enterprise PKS if i want to deep dive into the VMware K8S's world?

so many appreciations

• 4. Re: PKS compatible version with vSphere and NSX-T?
                daphnissov Guru
                vExpertCommunity Warriors

TKGI is simply the new brand name for Enterprise PKS. They are one and the same.

• 5. Re: PKS compatible version with vSphere and NSX-T?
                  RaymundoEC Hot Shot
                  vExpertVMware Employees

the short answer is they are both the same,  everything is about how to run K8s on, so, for example, let say you want "I will sound like a song that over and over is playing" opinionated way to do K8s so for example in case you want to do it vanilla or natively you can do it even in raspberry PI, in the case of Tanzu which is the umbrella on which you can find PKS and other nice things to support it. so in the case for this case is a way to call "turnkey" but is by far more than that, since you have a special source within to make the magic happen to support k8s like BOSH and KUBO (which is a release of K8s specifically to run thru BOSH), so in plain words PKS takes care of day 1 deployment of K8s and of the 2nd day as well, taking care of the VM's that support K8s, so then K8s can take care of the Cntnrs or the app, sound a little weird do, but first, if you are on your way as me to learn K8s this conceptualization will help you to understand where are you in relation to other many tools in the maker and why is this is so powerful.

here is a tiny guide I use when I don't remember which one is one:

Tanzu Kubernetes Grid - TKG (Vanilla Kubernetes or binaries signed by VMware)
                  Tanzu Kubernetes Grid Plus - TKG Plus
                  Tanzu Mission Control - TMC (cluster API to rule them all K8s deployments no matter where they are)
                  vSphere 7 + K8s -  (aka WCP for Workload Control Plane. Formerly “Project Pacific”) in this you can get pods of K8s natively running at same pair as VMs, so the hypervisor became a big K8s node, and also you can deploy a TKG to run K8s as you may do on a bunch of VMs.
                  Enterprise PKS – Tanzu Kubernetes Grid Integrated Edition - TKGI this the one that has BOSH director and takes care of K8s  and comes as well with my ty beloved NSX-T
                  Tanzu Application Catalog - TAC Bitnami powered apps "COTS"
                  Tanzu Service Mesh – TSM (Formerly NSX Service Mesh) very cool one to extend services of apps without touching them and map the relationship between them and so other cool stuff
                  Tanzu Build Service - Creation of OCI made simple
                  Tanzu Observability - do you know wavefront? so this is for monitoring and some other things of apps on K8s

I missing some other things like PCF or PAS which is the "tesla" of PAAS where you just drop code and everything is made for you, and Concourse for CI pipelines, I have played with many of other that are more closer to the apps like Gemfire a on memory DB, the RabbitMQ and other that I haven't like spring a java framework.

So again don't get lost K8s is a must then platforms to run it will come easy to understand like PKS.

my 2 pesos.