VMware Communities
parthenon5
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows 8 Not Working Correctly on Catalina

I recently upgraded to MacOS Catalina and tried running my Windows 8 through VMware. All I was getting was a black screen. I looked into it and learned that I had to get a newer version of VMware, I had been running version 7 for a long time. I upgraded to 11 and tried running Windows 8 again. This time it appeared to be working, but then when it got to the login screen it was all jumbled and messed up like a mosaic (I would upload a screenshot, but I keep getting an "image type forbidden" message here). I have some control with the keyboard and am able to actually log in, but when the desktop appears it's also completely chaotic. At that point the only way I can even shut it down is from the virtual machine menu. Any help about how I can fix this would be appreciated. Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
parthenon5
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I figured it out. The solution was kind of weird. For those who may be having the same issue:

I had to disable Accelerate 3D Graphics in the VM settings, which temporarily fixed the messed up resolution issue, so that I could go into the virtual machine and install (update) VMware Tools. But then I realized that my mouse cursor wasn't there, so I had no way to navigate Windows. To fix this, first I shut down VMware. Then I went to System Preferences => Security & Privacy => Privacy => Accessibility =>  (click the lock to make changes) => then on the right side, find VMware, delete it, then add it again (using the + and - buttons). Then I started Windows 8 up again and my cursor worked, so I was able to install VMware Tools. Then I shut off Windows, reenabled Accelerate 3D Graphics, and this time when it booted up, it was good.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
parthenon5
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I figured it out. The solution was kind of weird. For those who may be having the same issue:

I had to disable Accelerate 3D Graphics in the VM settings, which temporarily fixed the messed up resolution issue, so that I could go into the virtual machine and install (update) VMware Tools. But then I realized that my mouse cursor wasn't there, so I had no way to navigate Windows. To fix this, first I shut down VMware. Then I went to System Preferences => Security & Privacy => Privacy => Accessibility =>  (click the lock to make changes) => then on the right side, find VMware, delete it, then add it again (using the + and - buttons). Then I started Windows 8 up again and my cursor worked, so I was able to install VMware Tools. Then I shut off Windows, reenabled Accelerate 3D Graphics, and this time when it booted up, it was good.

0 Kudos