VMware Communities
ender_
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Windows XP x64 not starting when running with Hyper-V features

As the title says - Windows XP x64 VM hangs on boot when trying to run it on Workstation 15.5.5 with Hyper-V enabled on the host. Attempting to boot the install CD hangs at "Setup is starting Windows". The vmware-vmx.exe process uses as much CPU as there are cores assigned to the virtual machine.

My host is running Windows 10 2004 (19041.264), on Xeon E5-1620 (v1)

Other 64-bit VMs work without problems.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
hotvooboy
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Thanks for your information.

Could you please help to add option monitor_control.disable_apichv = "TRUE"  to vmx file for a try?

Thanks.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
hotvooboy
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in community.Does the CD/ISO file is local or remote?

Could you please help to provide some more detailed information as below and upgrade to FTP site:

1. Guest information(OS type/version)

2. vmware.log in VM folder /vm-support data from WS menu->help->support ->collect support data.

FTP Server: ftpsite.vmware.com

User: inbound

Pwd: inbound

Thanks.

0 Kudos
ender_
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Guest is Windows XP x64 (version 5.2), I tried installing it from the MSDN ISO en_windows_xp_professional_x64.iso (SHA1: 8e914f652dff0aa8fd16f41b583817c7e107bba5) (Windows Defender deleted one of the .vmdk files from my old XP x64 VM, making it unrecoverable, and I didn't keep the logs).

I uploaded vmsupport-2020-06-06-22-20.zip, vmware.log is included in the zip file.

0 Kudos
hotvooboy
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Thanks for your information.

Could you please help to add option monitor_control.disable_apichv = "TRUE"  to vmx file for a try?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Mits2020
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Windows Defender deleted one of the .vmdk files

Is this one of the 'benefits' of Win10 being able to mount .vmdk files natively? How did this happen? Did Defender think that the "virus" would leak from the guest to the host? Would Defender also delete .vhd files?

Shouldn't Win10 users be worried right now?

0 Kudos
ender_
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thanks, this seems to have worked - XP x64 is running now.

Is this one of the 'benefits' of Win10 being able to mount .vmdk files natively?

I'm pretty sure it just detected something in the (partial) .vmdk file as a virus and deleted it.

0 Kudos