VMware Communities
BillBranson
Contributor
Contributor

Problem Transferring OVF file over to ESXi from VMware Workstation 15.5

Hello,

I am running into a problem trying to move an OVF file to an ESXi system from Workstation 15.5.

Here are the parameters:

vSphere version 6..7.0.20000

VMware ESXi 6.7.0  build 10302608.

VMware® Workstation 15 Pro

15.5.5 build-16285975

Action: i am attempting to deploy an OVF file from my Workstation to the ESXi platform.

Here is the error message I get:

Issues detected with selected template. Details: - -1:-1:VALUE_ILLEGAL: No supported hardware versions among [vmx-16]; supported: [vmx-04, vmx-07, vmx-08, vmx-09, vmx-10, vmx-11, vmx-12, vmx-13, vmx-14].

I have two questions:

1) Does this error mean that I have a newer Hardware version vmx-16, than my ESXi servers are capable of handling?  vmx-04 to vmx-14. 

2) Can I change the vmx hardware support to be variable on my VMware workstation when I create new VM's or even when I make an OVF? 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you .

Sincerely

Bill Branson

Bill Branson

Systems Engineer II

Research Computing Center

Medical College of Wisconsin

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Mits2020
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

1. I have no experience of ESXi so I can't help.

2. From the main WS Menu, choosing VM --> Manage --> Change Hardware Compatibility will activate the Change Hardware Compatibility Wizard (you can access the function also by right clicking on the VM name in the library (left pane) or by right clicking on the top of the Tab of the guest window).

Also, when you make a new VM, the first screen of the New Virtual Machine Wizard after you choose a Custom configuration (not Automatic) presents the option of hardware version to use, including ESXi versions 6.7 and 6.5 (these are the options for WS 15.5.5).

0 Kudos
vakkilsrijith
Contributor
Contributor

This is an old post, and I was amazed to see not much response here.

I faced the same issue today while I was deploying an OVF template.

The alert stated that OVF expects to deploy VM with hardware version vmx-17 but vSphere which I am on doesn't supports it.

vSphere 6.7 supports only until vmx-15, so I edited the OVF file using Notepad++ and updated the following tag, to supported version:

<vssd:VirtualSystemType>vmx-15</vssd:VirtualSystemType>

Then I was able to deploy the VM using OVF template.

0 Kudos