VMware Cloud Community
Jaganpalo
Contributor
Contributor

VMs Under Vcenter 5.5 and With ESXi Vcloud License using Distributed Switch for VMwork load would like to Migrate to Vcenter 6.7 Standard License using Standard Switch

Best recommended Procedure with impact to VMs

Source:

Vcenter Server:5.5

ESXi Host:5.5

Distributed switch used for VMs with (Licensing Model: VCLOUD License)

Destination:

Vcenter Server:6.7

ESXi Host:6.7

Configuration is standard Switch (Licensing Model:Standard License)

0 Kudos
3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

So 2 distinct environments?

Is there shared storage across them?

What about network connectivity between them?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Jaganpalo
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Scott

Thank You Reply.

Answer to the Queries

Is there shared storage across them? Yes Can create a Shared Storage

What about network connectivity between them?There is No Network connectivity setup between the Vcenter ..

i will ask My Network team to open Port ,so i can add esxi server.

0 Kudos
Jaganpalo
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Scott

Basically In One Chasis Enclosure we have 5 Blade server ,Which uses a Distributed switch with V center version 5.5 and ESXi versions 5.5.

Currently have plan to come out of Enterprise Plus License and go for Standard License since environment is not large and not a difficult to manage with Standard switch .

I got 2 Spare Blades in the same Chassis I was thinking to create Install a Fresh 6.7 ESXi with 6.7 Vcenter and assign a New Lun to it.Another Server will install the ESXi with Older Version

5.5 ESXi with Standard Switch and add to 5.5 Vcenter with another DC under same Vcenter assign a New Lun. Then Migrate the Distributed switch to Standard switch.Then will do a Storage Vmotion and ESXi Host Vmotion to move the  VM,Once it is done will be disconnect the ESXi from 5.5 Vcenter and add to 6.7 Vcenter and Migrate the VM to New 6.7 esxi and New Storage,Will this work or Is there any limitation in this Process.

0 Kudos