VMware Cloud Community
T180985
Expert
Expert

Services failing to start

So I ran into an issue where the datastore my VCSA (6.7 U2a) sat on ran out of space which caused all sorts of issues. Fortunately I was able to free up some space but since then I haven't been able to get into the VCSA UI, I can access the VAMI but that's it...
I checked the services and can see most of them haven't started

pastedImage_0.png

So I attempted to start VMware-vpxd but unfortunately it just fails with the error:

pastedImage_1.png

In the vpxd-svcs log I noticed an error stating it couldn't access the LDAP server so I checked and confirmed vmdird is currently stopped. I tried to start this but it failed im seeing these errors now:

pastedImage_2.png

pastedImage_3.png

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? :smileyconfused:

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue. How to post effectively on VMTN https://communities.vmware.com/people/daphnissov/blog/2018/12/05/how-to-ask-for-help-on-tech-forums
Tags (2)
5 Replies
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You should review this log then to look for some erros: /var/log/vmware/vmdird/vmdird-syslog.log.

You will definitely find some interesting error logs lines there.

0 Kudos
T180985
Expert
Expert

I caved and just deployed a new vCenter. wasn't worth wasting too much time on it unfortunately. I still have the old vcsa so I might check that log to see if it gave any clues as to what occurred

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue. How to post effectively on VMTN https://communities.vmware.com/people/daphnissov/blog/2018/12/05/how-to-ask-for-help-on-tech-forums
0 Kudos
msripada
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello,

There are other dependent services like vapi-endpoint, vpxd-svcs etc also faied to start. so vpxd would not start

we need to check the vapi/endpoint/endpoint.log and vpxd-svcs.log on vcsa

Thanks,

MS

RajeevVCP4
Expert
Expert

Are you using external PSC or Embedded ?

Rajeev Chauhan
VCIX-DCV6.5/VSAN/VXRAIL
Please mark help full or correct if my answer is use full for you
0 Kudos
Sukanyad
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Need to check  /var/log/vmware/vmdird/vmdird-syslog.log. to check more details on the error

0 Kudos