VMware Communities
Noel
Expert
Expert

Linux Guests (Mint 19.3) on Linux (19.3) hosts no longer have drag 'n drop or cut & paste support for files after upgrade to 15.5., even with open-vm-tools 11.1

The title pretty much makes the point.  I am working around the problem by using shared folders, which do work between the guest and host.

When doing a d&d or c&p, the Error while copying dialog detail says 'Error when getting information for file "/Zsv1YQ/<filename>": No such file or directory'I

It appears to be one-way.  I can move TO the guest, but not TO the host.

This is reproducible.  I've restarted the systems, I've restarted (/etc/init.d/vmware restart) on the host, and restarted vmware-tools on the guest.  Nothing has resolved the problem.

All of this was working fine prior to the upgrade (from 15.5.2).

vmtoolsd -v reports 10.3.21.249 (build-14772444)

I have also tried it with open-vm-tools 11.05.17716 and VMwae Tools for MS-Windows 11.0.5 with the same results.

HOWEVER, upgrading MS-Windows to 11.0.6 fixed the problem there.  So I manually built open-vm-tools 11.1.0 from source.  No success.

----

This is now a bug against open-vm-tools: Linux Guests (Mint 19.3) on Linux (19.3) hosts no longer have drag 'n drop or cut & paste support fo...

Message was edited by: Noel Changed to add current status.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
watcher1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same problem!

I’m running VMware 15.5.6 on Linux 5.6.11 (Fedora). I’ve found that Drag&Drop only works one way. I can drag from Host to Guest fine, but attempting to drag or copy from Guest to Host produces an error such as:

Error when getting information for file “/Hj1Ipo/asdf.txt”: No such file or directory

The directory indicated does not exist and seems to be randomly generated. This was just a test “txt” file on the guest desktop.

I get the same error from both Linux and Windows Guests, although the non-existant directory changes.

… It looks like “Shared Folders” also fail. Fortunately USB works.

————– more detail ———–

It looks like Drag&Drop from a Linux guest generates a dynamic directory in {home}/.cache/vmware/drag_and_drop/pWMTEe with a copy of what’s being dragged.

The error refers to No such file or directory for /{dynamic_directory}. Note the leading slash /.

If I copy “{home}/.cache/vmware/drag_and_drop/pWMTEe” to “/pWMTEe” in the root directory and select “Try Again”, it finds the directory. It seems like there is an incorrect leading slash somewhere forcing an absolute path instead of a relative path.

Strangely, a Windows Guest will Copy/Paste to the Linux Host but it won’t Drag&Drop. Linux Guests do neither.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Did you read this at the bottom of the post above?

Linux Guests on Linux (19.3) hosts no longer have drag 'n drop or cut & paste support for files afte...

(I won’t add this reply to all 3 of the posts you just commented on)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
watcher1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you read this at the bottom of the post above?

Linux Guests on Linux (19.3) hosts no longer have drag 'n drop or cut & paste support for files afte...

I missed that, thanks!

0 Kudos