let me share with you the experience while working with Appstacks created in AppVolumes version 2.15 and then upgraded the AppVolumes and Appstacks to version 2.18.2 - all appstacks has been re-created for Appvolume version 2.18.2
short info about our environment
- We use direct appstacks assignments to user only.
- The Golden image:
- Windows 10 image LTSC - 1809 - OS Build 17763.1158 windows updates to 04/2020,
- AppVolume Agent 220.127.116.11
- Vmware Horizon agent 7.11.0
- Vmware Tools 10.3.5 - build 10430147
- after each appstack capture, the capturing (packaging) virtual machine is reverted back to the original snapshot,
- the capturing (packaging) virtual machine has installed only the VMTools 10.3.5 and AppVolumeAgent 18.104.22.168
- Appstack template used is 2.18.2
- Writable volume used is 2.18.2 - uia_plus_profile
=> Our big problem now is that what was working with appvolumes version 2.15 is no longer working in version 2.18.2,
=> with appvolume agent version 2.15 we have assigned for example 11 versious appstacks, (captured from application template 2.15)
=> there is no any dependency that we would need to assign any of that appstacks in specific order, with some precedence, etc
=> how the appstack is assigned - attached it works without issue.
=> With version 2.18.2 all appstacks has been created from the beginning - captured from application template 2.18.2) see the example below
=> it looks like there is a some new dependency with appstacks assignment order
eg. PersonalCommunications works only when it is assigned in first place, but then the OracleDataAccessComponents does not work, also seems that SAPGui does not work correctly and there might be some other appstacks affected
=> is barely impossible to find combination for the appstack assignment to find the correct order when the all assigned apsptacks will work correctly
=> also might be good to understand what has been changed in version 2.18.2 - this was no problem in version 2.15
=> what we have observed during our internal troubleshooting for Appstacks 22.214.171.124 and AppVolume agent 126.96.36.199 is that System Environment Variables under SystemProperties are propagated only from latest attached appstack,
=> while working with Appstacks 2.15 and AppVolume agent 2.15 are propagated all System environment variables under System Properties.
We have opened the Support case with Vmware, after initial call we are waiting for further instructions and troubleshooting session.
Has anyone observed this behaviour and if so, were you able to resolve it?