VMware Cloud Community
kevinphillips
Contributor
Contributor

After re-install of vCenter can't connect via Safari

(this is on the latest version of vCenter 6.7)

I had to re-install vCenter which I did with the same FQDN and IP address.

When I try to connect via Safari I get the message 'Safari can't open the page "FQDN" because Safari can't establish a secure connection to the server "FQDN"

I can connect via Firefox and Chrome just fine. I have cleared cache, cookies, history and still didn't work.

Last time I had this problem I had to completely re-install my Mac. Surely there must be an easier solution.

3 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Don't use Safari in the first place because it's not supported to begin with?

vSphere Client Software Requirements

sporkme
Contributor
Contributor

I've been using Safari almost exclusively, it works great. It's not a "Safari is not supported" problem, it's a "Safari is more security-minded than your other browsers" issue.

When you reinstall, the self-signed certificate may change, and Safari enforces HSTS.

You'll note that you just get the vague "can't establish a secure connection" message, and NOT the usual process that asks you if you want to accept the bogus cert.

This process worked great for me, the bit you see about using Terminal to remove the HSTS entry was the key for me:

https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2020/04/19/enabling-safari-to-successfully-connect-after-changing-...

In a pinch, if you normally connect via a dns name, try connecting via IP (or vice-versa).

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

Before you re-installed, did you use a CA signed certificate?
When you re install the VCSA it generates a Self Signed certificate and it might be causing the issue.

If you have a CA available I suggest you replace the certificate.

0 Kudos