VMware Communities
IvanC88
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upgrade from Fusion 5.0 to 11.5 after Catalina OS update

Hello everyone,

I'll preface this with I'm not all familiar with MacOS or VMWare Fusion. I can usually get through things just fine though.

I have a client who just updated her MacBook to Catalina 10.15.2 but is now needing to access her Windows virtual machine that was created with Fusion 5.0. Will there be any issues accessing such an old VM if I just have them purchase and install Fusion 11.5 or is there a specific upgrade path to take?

Thank you and apologies if this has already been asked. Also apologies if this was asked in the wrong place.

- Ivan

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Hi there 😃

The user should just need to install 11.5 and it will overwrite the 5.x installation.

VMs are independent of the App, so it's best to make backups.

When launching v11 for the first time, it will want to upgrade the VMs when they are started. Let it do that. Choose 'i moved it' if it asks if you moved or copied it. If something goes wrong it will probably be at this step.

Windows will need the new version of VMware Tools, and that should also happen automatically. You should be able to see it happen, so again let it do that. It will want to restart when finished.

Otherwise that should be all there is to it.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Moderator: Thread moved to the Fusion area (there are separate areas for each product)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
IvanC88
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry about that Scott.

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Hi there 😃

The user should just need to install 11.5 and it will overwrite the 5.x installation.

VMs are independent of the App, so it's best to make backups.

When launching v11 for the first time, it will want to upgrade the VMs when they are started. Let it do that. Choose 'i moved it' if it asks if you moved or copied it. If something goes wrong it will probably be at this step.

Windows will need the new version of VMware Tools, and that should also happen automatically. You should be able to see it happen, so again let it do that. It will want to restart when finished.

Otherwise that should be all there is to it.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
IvanC88
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for the reply, I'll make sure to have them do that!!

0 Kudos