VMware Horizon Community
ramachandrankes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

One AD user in VDI always shows printer driver missing and install

Hi Team,

We have install Horizon View Server and joined to our AD. We created Desktop pools in floating assignment type and joined to our AD.

We have a printer server which has available drivers. We map printers inside printer server via GPO and when a user logged in to VDI, it will show all the printers in devices and printers menu.

We have a situation that only one user and that too with that particular printer not able do a print. A test print also didn't work, and if I click on printer properties it shows driver not installed on the computer.

I noticed that I have connected to same VDI VM and I am able to print. I have tested with other user as well.

What could be the issue in this case?

Please note that we didn't map any printers via DEM console and only via GPO.

Thanks,

Ram

14 Replies
ramachandrankes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi All,

My users will automatically get prints when they select the printer. But for this AD user alone it shows as below. Please suggest an idea to resolve this. This is the only printer having a problem. Whereas for me with my login same printer inside VDI works fine. Attached error for your reference.

Thanks,

Ram

0 Kudos
Mickeybyte2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Are there any differences between your user and the one with the problem? I'm thinking of "administrator" rights?

Did you install the printer driver on the master image of the VDI or is the driver automatically installed when the printer is added via GPO?

Regards, Michiel.
0 Kudos
ramachandrankes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Mickeybyte,

This affected user do not have admin rights on the VDI. We don't install on a parent VDI VM and it will automatically loaded via GPO.

I have tested with another AD user and this user also not a domain admin or local admin on the VDI VM and same issue with that printer alone and not with all the printers.

Any suggestions on this regard?

Thanks,

Ram

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Are you sure they are having the gpo applied that adds the printer driver? If it works for others and not them and you are applying via gpo then its something with there account or the gpo preventing it, and not any horizon component.

0 Kudos
Mickeybyte2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It looks like the user doesn't have permissions to install the printer driver. If I remember well there are some GPO settings for this too. However, I'd suggest you install the driver only (not the printer) in the master image, so that once the GPO get's applied to install the printer, the driver that is already installed will be used.

Regards, Michiel.
ramachandrankes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Mickeybyte,

I can create a GPO to add users to local admin groups of VDI VM's Right?

Thanks,

Ram

0 Kudos
Mickeybyte2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Ram,

Yes that's also a possibility... although not what I would suggest... Making users administrator because it doesn't work otherwise is the "lazy" way and certainly not the safest one!

Regards, Michiel.
0 Kudos
ramachandrankes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Mickeybyte,

Yes that is not a good practice. Just to test I want to do the same.

Is there any possibility to add a domain user under Local VDI VM's administrators group via DEM Console?

Thanks,

Ram

0 Kudos
Mickeybyte2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Ram,

I wouldn't know how to do it in DEM, we are not using DEM.

You can do it with GPO: https://thesysadminchannel.com/add-local-administrators-via-gpo-group-policy/

Regards, Michiel.
0 Kudos
ramachandrankes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Mickeybyte,

I have added the user under local admin and still it is showing me to install driver. If I install driver then also it is not working.

But in my login I can do test print. I have added the user under Administrators Group via GPO.

Thanks,

Ram

0 Kudos
ramachandrankes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Do I need to reinstall this printer driver alone again on the printer server. Because I can print from VDI machine but not that user.

We don't install driver for each user inside VDI and instead it will map via GPO and install drivers on all VDI VM's.

Thanks,

Ram

0 Kudos
ramachandrankes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Mickeybyte,

Apart from this VDI local admin rights. I tested adding this user under Domain Admins and it is not prompted to install drivers and printing works.

This happens to all Label printers. Sample model of the printer is Intermec 3400C. If user is not in Domain Admins Group then it is prompting me to install drivers even if the user has local admin rights.

All other printers are working fine without any issues.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Ram

0 Kudos
Mickeybyte2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Ram,

The only solution to me seems that you'll have to install the drivers on your master image, so that when a user wants to install the printer, no drivers need to be installed anymore and just the printer connection can be created with the already installed drivers.

Installation of printer drivers can be a pain in the ass, there are multiple types of drivers and they require different user permissions to get them installed. If possible, stick to a universal PCL of PS driver, but they're not always provided by the vendor or not compatible with some specific models.

Regards.

[EDIT] Just noticed you're talking about label printers. Typically the kind of printers that have very specialized (read: non-standard) printer drivers that are the cause of multiple headaches Smiley Wink.

Regards, Michiel.
ramachandrankes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Mickeybyte,

Only option I see is to install printer driver on the master image and push that to all VM's. Since this is old model printers, as you said some restrictions are there it seems.

Thanks,

Ram