VMware Communities
zatara
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This installation package is not supported by this type of processor type. Contact your product vendor.

Hi,

I received the following message when trying to install workstation 15.5:

This installation package is not supported by this type of processor type. Contact your product vendor.

One of the reasons I built this new system was to have a new system that could run as 15.5.

I am using an i9-9900k CPU @ 3.60 MHz, 8 coes, 16 logical.

Here is the exact CPU I ordered:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005404P9I/

It appears all the virtualization CPU setting are enabled. Does anyone know what is going wrong?

What is the best LGA1151 CPU for WS 15.5? Is there a support matrix for the CPUs available?

I'm completely crushed, I spent so much money for this. Please let me know what you think or what the issue might be.

Thank you so much!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
zatara
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Never mind, this was my own dumb fault. I grabbed a Windows 10 DVD, and I thought it was x64, but it turned to be x86, hence be not being able to install it. Don't know why I didn't figure that out sooner. I clearly labeled that old CD correctly now. Smiley Happy

Thanks.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Mits2020
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

This CPU was released Q4 2018 and there's no way v15.5 does not run on it. Anything released after 2011 should work. The specific message happens often and is not particular to VMware. There are many reasons the operating system may report a wrong version of the CPU to the installer, so this is probably a false alarm. It happens during the installation of several programs (just google it and see).

I'm saying all this so you can take a breath, your money is still well spent! Here are some ideas:

I assume you have read the requirements (Processor Requirements for Host Systems ) and you enables VT-x on your BIOS (VMware Knowledge Base ).

I also assume that you have installed the latest BIOS on your motherboard (if not, do it and recheck if VT-x is enabled)

Finally, have you installed all the utilities for your motherboard (chipset, Intel Management Engine etc?) as advised by your motherboard?

If it still doesn't work, better first check out if your CPU is what it says on the box. Please run CPUZ (https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html) and post a screenshot.

Also, please provide details of your OS, motherboard and specific brand/model of your RAM.

In the meantime somebody more experience will hopefully chime in.

0 Kudos
zatara
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Never mind, this was my own dumb fault. I grabbed a Windows 10 DVD, and I thought it was x64, but it turned to be x86, hence be not being able to install it. Don't know why I didn't figure that out sooner. I clearly labeled that old CD correctly now. Smiley Happy

Thanks.

0 Kudos