VMware Cloud Community
KristenS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Fusion: Error 15: The system cannot find the drive specified.

hi!

This is really a Windows issue, but the VMWARE community has always been so helpful, that I thought i would reach out and see if anyone has come across this issue.

VMWARE Fusion: v11.5.3

Windows 10 v1903

The error appears when I try to start the Windows Process Activation Service in the Services app (which is required to run a web-based application that I'm using).

I've checked all the permissions and connected drives.

There is some chatter about this on the Windows forums, but no clear solution.

Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kristen

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KristenS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi all!

I managed to find an answer to my own question after digging through numerous sources.

I found this on https://answers.microsoft.com/zh-hans/windows/forum/all/when-i-start-windows-process-activation-serv.... I tried it and it worked!

1. Find a normal computer(WAS Service is running), backup "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WAS", then back to your computer.

2. run cmd in Admin Mode, run"sc delete WAS".

3. run "sc create WAS binpath="c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k iissvcs" DisplayName="Windows Process Activation Service" type=share error=normal start=delayed-auto depend=RPCSS".

4. Restore the registry with your backup.

5. Start WAS Service!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Moderator: Thread moved to the Windows guest area, since it is NOT a VMware product matter.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
KristenS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi all!

I managed to find an answer to my own question after digging through numerous sources.

I found this on https://answers.microsoft.com/zh-hans/windows/forum/all/when-i-start-windows-process-activation-serv.... I tried it and it worked!

1. Find a normal computer(WAS Service is running), backup "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WAS", then back to your computer.

2. run cmd in Admin Mode, run"sc delete WAS".

3. run "sc create WAS binpath="c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k iissvcs" DisplayName="Windows Process Activation Service" type=share error=normal start=delayed-auto depend=RPCSS".

4. Restore the registry with your backup.

5. Start WAS Service!

0 Kudos