1 Reply Latest reply on May 22, 2020 12:34 AM by Plamen

vCenter Converter Standalone fails at 97% p2v

ericwrosenberg Lurker

Hello,

I am getting the following error at 97% when trying to p2v machines running Oracle Linux 7.x:

FAILED: An error occurred during the conversion: 'GrubInstaller::InstallGrub: /usr/lib/vmware-converter/installGrub.sh failed with return code: 1, and message: grub2-install: error: /usr/lib/grub/x86_64-efi/modinfo.sh doesn't exist. Please specify --target or --directory. grub2-install: error: /usr/lib/grub/x86_64-efi/modinfo.sh doesn't exist. Please specify --target or --directory. Error installing GRUB Command: grub2-install --force --no-floppy /dev/sda Error running vmware-updateGrub.sh through chroot into /mnt/p2v-src-root Command:
      chroot "/mnt/p2v-src-root" /vmware-updateGrub.sh "GRUB2" "(hd0)" "(hd0,2)" /vmware-device.map "grub2-install" Installing GRUB2 on (hd0)... Installing GRUB2 on (hd0) failed. Installing GRUB2 on /dev/sda... '

I'm able to successfully v2v other Oracle Linux boxes so it does not seem to be a source OS issue. I'm wondering if it has to do with the bare metal machine being on UEFI vs BIOS.

Not sure what else to try, any help is appreciated.

Thanks

• 1. Re: vCenter Converter Standalone fails at 97% p2v
          Plamen Master
          VMware Employees

Hello

Converter runs grub2-install on the destination machine but uses whatever files happen to be on the source machine. The error is quite clear:grub2-install: error: /usr/lib/grub/x86_64-efi/modinfo.sh doesn't exist

Check the wanted file on the source; perhaps it is in a different directory. Copy it to where it is needed if so. Try to dry run grub2-install on the source machine (careful to not corrupt it!) to see whether all dependencies are fine and then convert again. Alternatively (and more safely) do these experiments on the target machine if it has not been deleted; you will need to boot from an live ISO to do that.

HTH,

Plamen