VMware Communities
omguser126
Contributor
Contributor

how to create snapshot of a virtual machine ?

Hello,

i read official article about snapshots, everything was there except how to create it, than one forums post. Steps described things i don't have there. How do i create it ? Is it even available for non commerical version ?

Huge Thanks!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Is it even available for non commerical version ?

No, this feature is not available for VMware Workstation Player, you need to have VMware Workstation Professional for getting access to this feature.

VMware Workstation Professional is not for free, but you can install a 30 day trial version.

After the trial expires you can continue to use VMware Player that is installed as part of the full suite as well.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

To create a snapshot you need to create an empty vmdk of type monolithicSparse.

To create such a vmdk all you need is dd and a hexeditor.

So a smart and educated user can use snapshots with VMplayer only.

It is less convenient - but it works ...

0 Kudos
omguser126
Contributor
Contributor

Vsphere client ? I am using workstation 15 player ? There is nothing like take snapshot, i was looking everywhere can't find anything.

0 Kudos
omguser126
Contributor
Contributor

Vshpere aaah, you need additional program. Well that explains a lot. This site is so bugged, i can't even edit answer. Btw sorry about that name, your website was bugged and i had to create new account or what. Didn't except to use this account for forums Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

As Will said, you cannot snapshot with the free VMware Player software.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

vSphere is a completely different product, won't help you, it is for servers and runs straight on metal, not on top of another operating system.

Even if you would install vSphere, you would then need another machine to connect.

PS: Editing an answer is under the "Actions" link.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
omguser126
Contributor
Contributor

Well i opened first link to the sphere so i thought you need to download this. Virtualbox has it for free, problem vm is terribly slow there for me...

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Thread moved to the Workstation Player area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos