VMware Cloud Community
Iwawa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

About HA configuration

Hello,

I have an infrastructure with a cluster of three Vsphere essential plus nodes and a compellent SC storage.

Some production VMs are installed on each node and at the moment everything work fine.

I would like to enable HA, but I have a doubt:

can I configure hot HA without compromising the operation of the infrastructure and of the production MVs?

I hope someone can give me an exhaustive answer.

Thank You and Best Regards.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Don't worry, enabling, or configuring HA will not affect the VMs (unless there's already a existing issue in your cluster).

The HA settings only come into play when powering on VMs (Admission Control), or in case of failures.

As a side note. For HA to work properly with the SC, there are a couple of settings which should be configured. In case you are interested, take a look at my reply at Re: Best Practices to configure a Standard vSwitch with three hosts and two physical switches.

André

View solution in original post

4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Don't worry, enabling, or configuring HA will not affect the VMs (unless there's already a existing issue in your cluster).

The HA settings only come into play when powering on VMs (Admission Control), or in case of failures.

As a side note. For HA to work properly with the SC, there are a couple of settings which should be configured. In case you are interested, take a look at my reply at Re: Best Practices to configure a Standard vSwitch with three hosts and two physical switches.

André

Iwawa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank You for the feedback.

Very comprehensive

0 Kudos
Iwawa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello Andrè,

Based on your expertise on compellent devices, I have a couple of information to ask you.

Despite being installed on every node Vsphere 6.7, VMFS remained type 5.

This means that automatic unmap is not possible and that every two or three months an unmap must be done manually to reclaim the freed blocks.

Is there a method to update the filesystem without damaging the production VMs?

Or do I need to transfer the VMs to another storage first?

Thank You and Best Regards

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You cant upgrade from VMFS 5.x to 6.x. You have to create a fresh Volume/Datastore and move the VMs around.

About your SC.... take a look to the Dell SC vSphere Best practices which you can find here: https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/common/sc-series-vmware-vsphere-best-practices_en-us.pdf

There are a few SC related adv. settings needed on ESXi and Cluster level.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos