VMware Communities
tomm1984
Contributor
Contributor

VMware 15.5 Workstation Pro on WinS 2016 freezes as soon as a 2nd VM is being mounted

Dear community,

I run VMware 15.5 Workstation Pro on a fresh Windows Server 2016 Standard Evalution version.

The hardware is a DELL Optiplex with an i7-8700 (6 cores, 3,2 GHz); 64 GB RAM and a Samsung 960 PRO nvme.

The latest Windows Updates are installed and the SSD benchmark looks like this:

Untitled.png

When I start the first VM (it doesnt matter if it is a Linus VM or another Windows VM) everythings behaves as I am used to from several other VM hosts, incl. notebooks.

As soon as I start the 2nd VM (again, it doesnt matter what type) the VMware windows reacts minutes delayed while the entire system is bored (no high CPU usage nor RAM nor SSD) and the remaining Windows haves as usual (I wanne say that not the entire systems slows down). As soon as I manage to suspend the 2nd VM the VMware Workstation window behave like normal. Very strange.

Any ideas?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

How many CPUs are allocated to each of your VMs?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
tomm1984
Contributor
Contributor

I tried several settings (normally I am quite familiar with what paameter / setting i can over-commit and which not); concrete I wanne run 3 VM's at the same time and I tried to give each VM 6 cores (CPU over-commit is generally okay) as well as 2 cores each as well as 1 core each. No difference. I copied all VM's to my notebook (4 cores) and all of them run well even with 4 commited cores each VM.

0 Kudos