VMware Cloud Community
trmentry
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 7.0 VM won't boot ISOs to install Windows or Linux

So I have a weird issue.  I just installed ESXi 7.0 on a new server.  MIgrated my VMs from my 6.7 server over and they are running fine and happy.

I went to make a new VM today for a windows 10.   I downloaded the latest ISO from MS.  Uploaded it to the Datastore.

Created the VM was 7.0 hardware (the default) but it will not boot the ISO.  Says no media on the DVD.     Tried with 18.04 Ubuntu and 20.04 Ubuntu.   Same situation.

However if I create the VM as 6.7 hardware... it boots those ISOs fine.     I can't seem to figure out why and googling around isn't getting me much. 

I'm debating on now re-installing my server to 6.7 and bin 7.0, but wanted to ask before I did if there is something I'm missing for this.

Thanks for your time.

5 Replies
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

That's quite unexpected.  Can you reconfigure your failing VM with 7.0 virtual hardware down to 6.7 compatibility and see if it starts working?  If you can obtain a vmware.log from a failed attempt to boot, and attach it to your reply, I'll take a peek.

--

Darius

0 Kudos
trmentry
Contributor
Contributor

Sure thing.  I had the original VM as 7.0 hardware.  Dropped it to 6.7 and it did boot the ISO.   When I was having this issue.  I deleted the VM out of spite. 

I just re-created a 7.0 VM and it booted the Windows 10 ISO with no issues.  Go figure.   I'll see if I can re-create what was happening yesterday, but not sure I will be able to now. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Dekkzter_
Contributor
Contributor

I have this exact same issue, though i cannot recreate the issue with a Windows ISO atm, but when trying to boot a Sophos UTM ISO it refuses to boot, but also refuses to boot on Virtual Hardware v15. I tried downloading the ISO from the datastore and run it in VMware Workstation 15, and it was booting fine here.

Attaching logs from when trying to boot to Sophos UTM.

0 Kudos
ahmednader2010
Contributor
Contributor

what did you done regarding your issue? i have exact the same issue.

please help

0 Kudos
DinosArmada
Contributor
Contributor

I have changed the default CDrom controller from SATA to IDE 

0 Kudos