VMware Cloud Community
doron1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vmrc.exe stopped working - silently exiting

Hi all,

I'm at loss with this one - any help appreciated.

Host is Win7. Recently, vmrc just stopped launching. When I click the executable (or my various shortcuts, or right click from a vm->console ), nothing happens.

When I run vmrc.exe from the command line, nothing happens. No dialog, no program launch, nothing.

Looked for any log under the log location folder - nothing at all (i.e. last logs are from when it last worked well).

Tried to: (a) "repair" from program install panel. (b) upgrade to 11.1 (was at 10.x). (c) remove the program completely and install latest again. (d) multiple reboots.

Nothing helps: vmrc.exe just silently exits when launched.

I'd be grateful for any clue that can help me resolve this!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Thread moved to the VMRC area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
doron1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

(Thanks scott28tt​ for moving this to the right place - sorry for misplacing)

So I have a new clue into this weird problem. I tried to run vmrc.exe with "Run as Administrator".

Lo and behold, it does run (after the inevitable UAC prompt etc.).

So the good news is, I can use it (can even mark the binary as "run as admin", live with the UAC prompt etc.).

BUT this is still as weird as it can be: This definitely worked until recently, without elevated rights (and without the annoying UAC prompt). I can't think of anything relevant that's changed in the local host (well something must have, but I have no idea what that might be).

Any thoughts, anyone?!

0 Kudos