VMware Cloud Community
RGarrison5
Contributor
Contributor

Client Windows 10 updates KB455**** cause freezing, crash, black screen

Yesterday I performed the Windows Updates on my client (.net KB4552931, Win10 KB4556799), and I found the client very unstable.

My host system:

Windows 10 Pro 1909 (OS build 18363.836)

3.40 gigahertz AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core

ASRock B450 Pro4

16 GB DDR4 RAM

AMD Radeon RX560 with 4 GB GDDR5

Before the updates, I found my graphics occasionally went black for a couple seconds, and I believe it is related to the response time of the 43" 4K TV I use (instead of something designed as a monitor).

After the updates, I found the client freezing; apps shutting down (Chrome, Solitaire, Excel, JStock), internet apps freezing with a ghost white image (and locking the client, but not the host). I also found the performance to be very slow, at best. I could select a link in Chrome, and wait a full 30 seconds for the system to respond. I could click an app in the start menu, and wait 10 seconds or more to see if is even starts to load.

I also found the graphics were wonky. The resolution it showed for the client and the relative screen area it took didn't match. It tended to look more like 800X600 or so; which didn't give enough desktop real estate (considering my big monitor). Icons were huge.

I tried a variety of troubleshooting things (disable graphics acceleration, changing RAM, changing graphic resolution, etc.

I went back to a previous snapshop; problems went away.

Today I uninstalled those updates (control panel/all control panel items/programs and features/installed updates), and it seems to be working better again.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Thread moved to the Windows area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos