VMware Cloud Community
gordonc28
Contributor
Contributor

p2v - unable to connect to the converter helper server

I'm trying to convert a powered on server running Centos 6.9 to a destination VM in one of our vCenters. I've looked at the VMware Docs on which ports to open and have put firewall rules in place. After over 3 hours and the status still at 1% the task failed with "Error: Unable to connect to the Converter helper server on the destination virtual machine".

I am doing the conversion on a Windows hosted VMware Converter Standalone version 6.2 and can successfully ping the helper VM from the Windows box. On the console of the helper VM, there are entries showing it can ping its gateway. The docs say port 443 is used between the Converter Standalone server to the helper virtual machine. Is port 22 needed too? or maybe I'm missing something in the setup.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
berndweyand
Expert
Expert

yes - you need port 22 : VMware Knowledge Base

0 Kudos
gordonc28
Contributor
Contributor

If I'm understanding the error correctly, I think it is saying that the Converter server is failing to connect to the converter helper server. From the Knowledge Base article, port 443 is the port used for that connection. Do I need port 22 too?

0 Kudos
berndweyand
Expert
Expert

yes - in the link i posted before you can read that the helper vm connects via port 22 to the source machine

0 Kudos