3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2020 4:25 AM by efststamb

Intel VMD and VROC support on ESXi 7.0

efststamb Lurker

Hello,

I know this has been asked before, but there is no definite answer...and both related questions were before release of esxi 7.0.

Reading this https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/memory-and-storage/ssd-software/Intel_VMD_NVMe_VMWare_User_Gui…

as another user has mentioned, it is supposedly supported as long as the drives are Intel, u2 form factor and on a hot plugable back plane...

On the VMware compatibility guide, the intel VMD driver is listed as native in the esxi 7.0

(iavmd version 2.0.0.1055-3vmw)

I am planning on ordering a new server for hosting esxi, and I have to clear this up before choosing my configuration...

(server will be a supermicro, most probably 1029U-TRTP2 with intel's p4610 nvme drives)

It will be a single host, no HA, vSAN or whatever, all VM's on the local datastore which I would like to be on the NVMe drives.

However I don't feel at ease having a single drive...I would prefer having a raid 1 array with 2 of the aforementioned drives.

Regular Backups will be implemented (still haven't decided on which path I will follow for this), but still if the single drive fails, I will have downtime...

Putting the 2 drives behind a raid controller, defies the purpose of going nvme...

Right now I am stuck with an HP DL380 G6 server running esxi 5.5. So unfortunately no way of testing...

So my question is, has anyone been able to implement this successfully?

stay safe...