VMware Cloud Community
Schlass
Contributor
Contributor

vRA 8.1 Network name property ignored during deployment

Hello,

I created a very basic CentOS blueprint which deploys just fine, with one exception: vRA doesn't connect the vm

to the network specified in the blueprint. I have configured a network profile which includes two networks. "NetworkA" and "NetworkB".

In the blueprint I specified "NetworkB" with the "name" property, but everytime I deploy a machine it connects to "NetworkA".

When I use tags select the network with contraints it connects to the correct network. This is not my prefered option though because I have a lot of different networks within NSX-T

and I want to avoid tagging every network that already exists or gets created in the future.

This is my Blueprint code:

formatVersion: 1

resources:

Cloud_vSphere_Machine_1:

type: Cloud.vSphere.Machine

properties:

image: CentOS8

cpuCount: 1

totalMemoryMB: 1024

networks:

- network: '${resource.Cloud_Network_1.id}'

Cloud_Network_1:

type: Cloud.Network

properties:

networkType: existing

name: "NetworkB"

0 Kudos
3 Replies
siglert
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

When you have 2 networks in the same network profile using a TAG is the only way to differentiate between them.  The NAME reference in the blueprint is to name the network that you define in the blueprint itself.

0 Kudos
Schlass
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you that makes sense. But then how do I configure the vm to connect to the correct network without tagging?

I visited a vra 8 course and in the lab guide, the configuration was the same as the one I already mentioned in my original post and there it worked.

0 Kudos
siglert
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In your network profile you create TAGS for Network A (net:Prod) and Network B (net:NonProd) on the Network as you create it not on the profile.  In the Blueprint you can either ask for an input as to which network it should deploy on or do some other logic to determine which network it deploys on.  Use a constraint TAG on the VM something like:

pastedImage_0.png

nets is either an Input or something that is derived through logic to pick the appropriate network to deploy on such as environment.

0 Kudos