VMware Cloud Community
jimwillsher
Contributor
Contributor

Please help me understand VM hardware compatibility in 7.0.0

Hi

I'm confused Smiley Happy I have a vcenter virtual appliance (deployed from the 7.0.0. ISO) and two ESXi. vcenter is running on one of those ESXi. Everything is 7.0.0.

If I log in to ESXi and look at any of the Windows VMs I see "Guest OS Version" of "Microsoft Windows Server 2019 (64-bit)", which is correct (and I recall this OS appeared only in 7.0.0). Also, the "upgrade VM Compatibility" is greyed out, whether the VM is running or stopped, so it appears to be the highest compatibility.

However if I login to vcenter the same VM shows as "ESXi 6.7 and later (Version 14)". Above the list of VMs is the wording "UPGRADE TO MATCH HOST   (Version 17).  If I click the VM and choose to upgrade, the popup box lists 0 VMs to upgrade. Similarly, if I click the VM fro within vcenter I see:

VM Hardware Compatibility

Up to Date

On VM:ESXi 6.7 and later (Version 14)

On Host:ESXi 6.7 and later (Version 14)

Can anyone shed light on what may be happening? ESXi thinks my VMs are 17, and vcenter thinks my VMs and host are only 14.

Many thanks

Jim

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jimwillsher
Contributor
Contributor

No-one else?

I've now upgraded to vSphere 7.0.0b and the issue remains. All VMs which are Server 2019 show as Version 14, yet the configuration file shows 17.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

Try removing the virtual machine from the vCenter inventory and re-register it.

ARome

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos