VMware Communities
noldis
Contributor
Contributor

Anybody success with installing VMware Workstation 15.5 on a Fedora 32 host?

Hi,

I'm running VMware workstation 15.5 happily on a Fedora 29 system and tried the same on a recently released Fedora 32 host.

Unfortunately, I'm constantly getting this installation error:

# sh  /home/noldi/Downloads/VMware-Workstation-Full-15.5.2-15785246.x86_64.bundle

Extracting VMware Installer...done.

Rolling back VMware USB Arbitrator 18.7.0

Deconfiguring...

Uninstalling VMware Installer 3.0.0

Deconfiguring...

[######################################################################] 100%

Installation was unsuccessful.

To me, it looks like an installer problem or some issue with building / starting the USB Arbitrator.

So again: has anybody tried to install this SW on a Fedora 32 system (x86_64 workstation)?

Cheers & regards,

noldi

0 Kudos
6 Replies
kissanej
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ran into the same problem trying to install Player 15.5.2 on Fedora 32. Fedora 30 moves out of support on June 1st so means no current version of Fedora is supported by Workstation/Player.

0 Kudos
kissanej
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just tried installing Player 15.5.5 which was just released on Fedora 32 but still won't install.

0 Kudos
Mits2020
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The latest VMware document "Supported host operating systems for Workstation Pro 12.x, 14.x and 15.x (2129859)" in  VMware Knowledge Base is dated from 10/12/2019 and has only Fedora 30 listed. This is also the Moderator's answer to FEDORA 32 & WORKSTATION 15.5.2  one day before the 15.5.5 release. So my take is that v32 is not yet supported (maybe it is on the 20H2 Workstation).

0 Kudos
noldis
Contributor
Contributor

While VMware Workstation 15.5 is not supported on Fedora 32, you may try this option "--ignore-errors" appended to the path of the install image to complete the installation.

See also this VMware Knowledge Base Article for more details on this.

Even if the product installs now with that switch, it does not mean that it works so your  mileage may vary, it seems to work for me though.

Also, please be aware that you may have to disable "Secure Boot" in BIOS if you are using UEFI. See also this VMware Knowledge Base Article for more details on this.

Good luck!

noldi

0 Kudos
prayags
Contributor
Contributor

Below solution worked for me on Fedora32

I have - VMware-Workstation-Full-15.5.6-16341506.x86_64.bundle

git clone https://github.com/mkubecek/vmware-host-modules

cd vmware-host-modules

git checkout workstation-15.5.6

sudo make ; sudo make install