We have 4 Hosts in vSAN stretched cluster where configured 2 hosts are in preferred site and 2 hosts are in secondary site and Witness VM running on dedicated standalone esxi host .
Now we planning to upgrade vSAN infra with below High level plan
- Upgrade VCSA from 6.0 U2 to 6.7 U2
- Upgrade Preferred site host 1 Firmware ,followed by ESXi host (6.7 U2)and then Host 2
- Upgrade secondary site host3 Firmware ,followed by ESXi host and then host 4
- Upgrade ESXi host on which witness appliance/VM running
- Upgrade Witness VM from 6.0 U2 to 6.7 U3 using Update manager
- Upgrade on-disk format from 3 to 7
So my questions are below at respective steps that
Step 2 where deciding to place host in Maintenance Mode (MM) ,so should i keep host in MM by selecting ensure accessibility or full data migration as we have only two hosts in preferred and secondary site (attached screen shot know disk space details) ?
As Fw and ESXI upgrade takes around 4 hours,so Can I set VSAN.ClomRepairDelay to higher value (4 Hours) If i chose "ensure accessiblity while placing host in MM.
Step 3 where upgrading standalone esxi host on which witness VM is running, as it’s standalone host, so I have to power off witness VM to upgrade ESXi FW and ESXi host .Is any risk involved in power off witness and performing maintains on standalone host ?
Step 5 Once standalone host and witness VM up, then I will perform witness appliance upgrade via Update manager ,Is it correct and recommended method ?
Thanks in advance for your time and help