1 Reply Latest reply on May 6, 2020 1:41 PM by oneilv

vCenter Server Upgrade fails with VMware vSAN Health Service failed firstboot.

oneilv Enthusiast
    vExpert

Hi Guys,

Couple of weeks ago I was upgrading a vCenter Server Appliance from 6.5 U2 to 6.7U3e and encountered an error during the VC upgrade. The error message was vCenter Server Upgrade fails with VMware vSAN Health Service failed firstboot. The error was seen in Step 2 of Stage 2 of the upgrade when the services start on the new VCSA.

The external PSC was successfully upgraded with no issues however only the VC was failing to upgrade with the error.

Screenshots of the error messages seen below:

Screen Shot 2020-04-15 at 14.51.55.png

When you login to the VAMI client you also see this

Screen Shot 2020-04-15 at 15.55.45.png

At this stage the new 6.7 VCSA has to be powered down and I had to restore the original 6.5 VCSA to bring up the environment.

I also attempted the upgrade to version 6.7U3f in an attempt to reproduce the error and still got the same error at the same stage.

After troubleshooting this issue with GSS for a couple of weeks they have advised that this is a known issue with the vSAN service on the VCSA 6.7U3 appliances. VMware have a workaround for this in place however they have also advised that they are releasing a hot fix patch for the vSAN service in the coming days to fix this known issue.

Anyone else encountered this?

Cheers, Onil